Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wind bonnets

Posted by ggks (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 12:57

I am unable to purchase a wind bonnet anyplace here in town. AND when I ask for it I get a strange look, like What is that? So I explain it to them.
I would like to have the instructions on how to make one.
Can someone help me?
ggks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wind bonnets

Is it a bonnet like the pioneer ladies wore? Snug around the back of the head but with a big brim?

o

It is not like the pioneer bonnets. It is made of net or chiffon. goes over the head, is attached to something that ties in front or under the chin.
ggks

o

It is not like the pioneer bonnets. It is made of net or chiffon. goes over the head, is attached to something that ties in front or under the chin.
ggks

o

Try the link. They call them a Wind Cap.

They are like those cheap plastic folding rain hats, but of chiffon or a soft netting. You could take a rain hat apart to use for a pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind scarf or bonnet

o

You might try a Sally's Beauty Supply, or a local drug store.
Kathy G in MI

o

Based on the plastic (for rain or wind) ones my mom used to carry/use, I think you could do the following (prototype first from some paper or plastic):
-measure your head from neck to forehead--call this the "height."
-measure around your head from chin to chin (not trying to imply you have 2 :-) --call this width
-cut out this size and fold it back and forth (fan-style), so that its height "collapses" to about 1 or 1 1/4 inch, and its width stays the same. (i.e., draw your fold-lines from "chin to chin"); for fabric, you will need some method of retaining those folds.
-with it folded, sew (or staple, for your prototype) on ties to each end, capturing the folds so that each end will be permanently folded. make ties 9 inches or so long (each; as a rule, you need at least 18" to tie a bow)
-try it on, opening up the folds. if your fabric is holding the creases, when you take it off, you can pull on the ties and it will collapse back into the fan-fold so that you can store it in a very small pouch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here