Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Right side of fabric

Posted by Clare100 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 12:47

I have not done any tailoring-type of sewing for years but found some beautiful superfine wool fabric on sale. I assumed that the right side is the inside, less shiny side, where you can read the printing in the selvage. However, now I have sudden doubts. Maybe the sleeker polished side is meant to be the outside.

Can anyone confirm? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Right side of fabric

I've had this problem in the past, too. When searching for answers online, I copied and pasted this info that may help. When you look closely at the selvage you'll see tiny holes where the fabric was on the prongs of the loom. Here is what I've copied and pasted:

"The prongs go in the wrong side smoothly and punch out the right side of the fabric, leaving a rough hole on the right side. So the right side is the side with the rough holes.

Generally the selvages appear less finished on the wrongs sides and are smoother on the right side."

I think that last sentence where they said "smoother on the right side"...refers to the selvage in general (not the holes).

I hope this helps!

o

But, IMO, given that it's not printed, whichever side you prefer would be fine. Who's to know?

o

I agree to use the side you like best and just be consistent.

o

But, IMO, given that it's not printed, whichever side you prefer would be fine. Who's to know?

I'm with this. I've made clothes deliberately using the wrong side. Just because I liked it better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here