Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Altering size 10 top to size 8

Posted by homey_bird (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 12:36

Hi:

I am generally much more active on kitchen and gardening forums but it's my first time posting on sewing forum.

I recently received a top with size 10, when I typically wear a size 8. The store has sold out on my size and I do not want to return it (the gift has a sentimental value attached to it).

Therefore, I am wondering if it is possible for me to easily alter it to size 8. Specifically, what areas will need changing? For example, will I need to fix arm hole size or will it be only around waistline?

I will likely get it professionally altered but wanted to get some expert advice regardless.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Altering size 10 top to size 8

The top can be altered, but if you are not an experienced seamstress you may have difficulties.

Most likely it will need to be taken in at the sides, bustline and at the armholes.

Sometimes if something is way too big, it may have to be taken apart and completely cut down. In that case the alterations may cost more than the top itself.

o

Try it on and see where it's too big. Often a "size 8" woman can wear a 10 with no alterations at all.

o

I'd agree that you'd need to try it on. Every company had its own standard of fit. A ten in one company may be an 8 in another. The difference between missy sizes eight and ten is only two inches, at the bust waist and hip. Circumference of the sleeve doesn't vary nearly as much.

A "top" can be anything. There is absolutely no way to tell you how to alter it without seeing the style, and how it fits you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here