Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

How do we make garments smaller?

barb_roselover_in
10 years ago

I am having to remodel most of my summer clothes--especially the slacks. What is the best way to do this because they look like gathered skirts. Some of them I am just giving up on and giving to Good Will, but I can't do that with all of them. Thanks in advance. I am short. What is the best length to have the pedal pushers--just below the knee or just above the knee? Barb

Comment (1)

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

Pedal pushers or capris as they are called now come below the knee. If they are above the knee they are called walking shorts.

If your pants are only a size too big they can be altered. I wouldn't try if they were any bigger than that. I have lost weight and I altered a few pair of mine. I undid the hem and a bit of the crotch seam. Mine had elastic waist bands that were fine so I didn't have to touch it. Otherwise I would have to remove the waistband and I didn't want to do that.

I started sewing all seams at the waistband and close to it on the same stitching and gradually went wider to a 1/4 inch seam from the stitching. I did this on the 2 outside seams. Mine had slanted front pockets and it didn't make much difference in pocket size. On the inside seams I started with the crotch and a 1/4 inch seam all the way down to the hem. Then I sewed the crotch seam. I started at the waistband on the back and widened the seam to 1/4 inch as for the sides. As I got close to the curve for the crotch I narrowed it back to the stitching and then widened it out again to 1/4 inch and narrowed it back to the stitching at the waistband.

If you have a zipper it will be harder to make the crotch seam smaller. I would suggest you put the pants on inside out and pin the seams to see if things will work. I wouldn't try to adjust the seams more than 1/4 inch or you will end up with them not looking good. Doing a 1/4 inch smaller seam on the 2 sides will make them an inch smaller around. Add in the 1/4 inch crotch seam and you take off another inch