Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Window covers, protect fabric from sun - help!

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

Hi! I'm a gardener and garden junker, but I also sew (have a Singer Touch & Sew that I love.) I've never posted here before tho I have lurked on occasion.

I bought some beautiful cotton fabric with big red flowers to make curtains for my living room. I don't really want to line them cuz I like the weight and drape as it is particularly cuz they are an odd design (see next para.) Is there any way to slow down the sun fading? My previous ones faded over a period of years and I'd like to keep these nice as long as possible. I've been reading about stuff that you can spray on fabric. Has anyone ever used it for inside? (I'd like to hear out side experiences too actually as I'm thinking my porch cushions could use some protection.) Any other suggestions? If lining is the only/best way, what do you recommend? Is there a very light drapey fabric that would work?

tia, kathy

btw my "curtains" are rather unconventional. We don't really like to hide our living room windows but want the option of privacy so I just sew a big rectangle to cover the bottom half of the windows, attach rings to the 2 top corners and stretch them across the window between 2 cup hooks. I have one cup hook higher up on one side to hang the other corner from when not covering the window. Our windows are double so we have one "curtain" hanging on each side when not in use. Just don't tell the HD forum, lol.

Comments (2)