Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How thick should my window seat cushion be AND yardage?

Posted by sarajon (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 11:38

I have to get a cushion cut for a window seat, what thickness would look the best? The old one that is there now is over 4" and kind of looks like an outdoor cushion. I was thiking 3"?

Also, what yardage for 98" long, 18" deep 3" thick and the fabric is 58" wide with a half inch repeat. I do want it self welted and like the 8/32" welting size.

Second cushion same dimensions but only 45" long (still 18" deep and 3" thick) . Using same fabric but different color, how much for this?

I've looked online to find some kind of estimator to no avail, any help appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How thick should my window seat cushion be AND yardage?

You need 3 yards of fabric for the larger cushion plus a yard to make about 13 yards of piping. You need 1 2/3 for the smaller, plus about 2/3 yard to make 7 yards of piping. You can find charts for piping if you do a search for "continuous bias", that is what they cut to make piping. Most of the charts are for quilters so they are calculating based on 45" wide fabric. That means the quantity I've given you for piping is generous because your fabric is 58".

o

Use the 4" green (high density) foam if this is something that you will sitting on frequently. The 4" is for comfort. If that is not an issue, use the 3" green foam.
Kathy G in MI

o

Thank you for the measurements!
Where can I buy green foam online?

o

You can find the green foam at Joann's or try the link below. They have a green foam called Lux foam regular that sounds like what I used.
Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Foam Factory

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here