Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrie2_gw

Source for 'reasonable' outdoor fabric?

terrie2
16 years ago

Hi all -- I need to recover seven patio chairs plus an ottoman and am having a hack of a time finding semi reasonably priced outdoor fabric - something that'll withstand the Arizona sun. I hate to spend too much since if all goes well I plan on replacing the furniture in the next year or so...But, I'm throwing a party by the pool in August and need things to look decent, lol. I'm going for bright colors, preferably a pattern, needs to have some crayon blue in it if possible (I have a crayon blue gazebo that we're trying to tie things in with) and we're hoping for something tropical looking. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• czarena12a
    16 years ago

I have bought outdoor fabric from WalMart and it held up well in the Georgia sun. The price was $2.98 a yard last year.

• terrie2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, czaena. Unfortunately our local Walmart closed out their fabric department;(

• czarena12a
    16 years ago

Bummer that seems to be happening everywhere. I hope it doesn't happen to mine.

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, If you're in Tucson, here are some fabric stores around there. These lists are sometimes not up to date, but may be a start. Ask at every store if they know of any other sources for you. There may sewing contractors near you that you don't know about. If there are, they probably sell their left over fabrics to swap meeters, small fabric stores, etc. These should be far less expensive than the chain stores. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Tucson sewing stores

• terrie2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lindasewandsew (Love the name, by the way;) Yes, I'm in Tucson so thanks for the list -- There are a couple of shops on there that I'd forgotten all about so I'll check them out. I really think my problem is that I'm being too darned picky. Ever get an idea of what you want, how little you're willing to pay (especially for something temporary) and then have that "Duh" moment where you realise that it doesn't exist at that price? I should know better -- I sew for a living and shake my head all the time when my customers do that, lol!

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Here is another source:

Here is a link that might be useful: try here

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Since it's going to be temporary,how about using sheets.I just recently covered all 3 cushions on my patio swing with one king size sheet that i bought at the thrift store.Cost me less than 4.00 with my senior discount.I had enough left over to also cover a pillow.
    Kathi

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

You don't want a fabric store, you want an upholstery supply shop. Check your yellow pages. Most of them will sell to retail customers.

Sunbrella is a good brand, but there are others. Ask for a "Sunbrella-eqivalent", a solution-dyed acrylic sun-resistent fabric.

These fabrics are usually 54-60" wide.

• memo3
    16 years ago

If the cushions are just tired but still in good shape you might try painting them. Rustoleum has a new fabric paint availabe. Someone I know just used it for her cushions and then sprayed them with a coat of tent finish to water proof them. She said they turned out really well and they were still very comfortable to sit on. Just a thought if you can't locate some fabric.

MeMo

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz