Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean bag fillings?

Posted by joyce58 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 9:32

Hello...I would like to make a few toy bean bags for possible sales. I am not sure of the best filling to use...I prefer not to use plastic pellets and would like to stick with something like dry peas or rice. Which would be best and would you suggest a double type covering ( or putting the filling into a plastic baggie first) to keep "critters" and moisture away from the bags?
Thanks,
Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean bag fillings?

I've used split peas - & lentils are often recommended in many projects I've seen. Navy beans (or other small beans like mung) would work well too. Putting the beans/peas in the freezer for several days will kill weevil or other insect eggs/larvae.

HTH

o

I would not put the stuffing in a plastic bag. If they would microwave it, that would be a disaster. Some people use them for hot/cold for pain or strains, therefore the problems. Especially little ones will curl up with a cool bean bag and not an ice pack for an ouchy. Just mho.

o

If you use rice; no one can spill anything on it or the rice may begin to soak up the liquid and expand and then deteriorate. It draws pests worst then the beans others have mentioned. the CDC recommends you freeze your been pillow once a year to kill dust-mites. Beanbags with real beans in them should be done the same way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here