Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about a Kenmore sewing machine

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 7:06

I just purchased a few items from Creative Feet. I need to get my needle in the far left position and then sew straight. I can get it left for the blind stitch, but it makes a quick right every few stitches.

I've read the manual to no avail and played with all the adjustments without success also.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about a Kenmore sewing machine

If i understand you correctly,then what it's doing is correct.It takes a few stitches then swings to the other side to pick up the blind stitch.Your straight stitches should be on the straight piece of fabric,then it swings over and picks up a stitch on the fold.Clear as mud,right?? I'm not very good at explaining things.But look at the pictures in your manual,and you should understand.HTH
Kathi

o

Ah now I understand thanks to Kathi -- it does seem like that is what your foot should be doing. As Kathi says check your manual for pictures....if you still don't think it is correct, look for a book at the library that shows you what blind hemming looks like. Just a suggestion. Budster

o

Yes, what's it doing is correct for a blind stitch. I need the machine to move the needle to the left and stay there. Then be able to stitch straight from that position.

Alas, I just got off the phone with Claire from Creative Feet. My machine doesn't have the needle position option. She did, however, give me a neat way around this problem--buy a double needle and cut the right needle off. This will give me a sewing needle in just the right position to attach the Satinedge foot to my machine and give me a quilting 1/4" seam.

What a creative mind to figure that one out!

Thanks, everyone. Time to get a double needle.

Dianne

o

Dian 57 - Good heavens what a novel idea....it sounds like a perfect solution. Thank you for posting the response from Creative Feet. It was a good question with an insightful answer. We always learn something new around here which is why I so enjoy this forum. Thanks again. Budster - as a p.s. Let us know how it works..under a new posting if you can.

o
double needle

Insightful, indeed!

I'm off to find the best source of double needles. She suggested I try a 4mm and 6mm to see which gives me the desired 1/4" position.

She also said to cut the right needle off 1/4" below the horizontal connection. Any higher would weaken the integrity of the connection and break the whole shebang on first try!

Smart woman, that Claire.

o

I'm confused. Are you saying that the only stitch you have on your machine is a blind hem stitch? There is no way to change to a straight stitch, ziz zag, etc? Although the double needle solution is clever, I can't imagine that the machine was designed to perform only this one function.

o

I can see why you'd be confused, pris!

I have a machine that does all the normal stuff and stitches. I just purchased a neat new foot called a Satinedge foot from Creative Feet. It attaches directly to my machine and does all kinds of wonderful things.

The only problem I had was getting it to adjust to a 1/4" seam allowance. That's the seam you use most often in quilt piecing.

I called the owner and she said I had to move my needle into the far left position and then adjust the foot to attain the proper seam allowance spacing.

Problem being my machine is a no-frills Kenmore and there is no way to move the needle to the far left EXCEPT when adjusted to the blind stitch setting.

And that's where your confusion ensues. But now all is well and once I get that double needle, I'll be sewing merrily along with my 1/4" seam.

Dianne

o

This is a really neat presser foot. I'm thinking of ordering one for myself as it replaces several I have with my machine. BUT, in the list of things it does below, 1/4" narrow seams is listed. I would think that if this is true a broken needle would not be necessary. Again, I'm probably missing something here. Are you wanting to sew the seam on the opposite side from the way it would normally be sewn with this foot?
Satin Stitch Edges
Lettuce Edges
Wire Edges
Fishing Line Edges
Corded Edges
Cutwork
Satin Stitch Edges
Appliqué Enhancements
Petite And Invisible Appliqué Trapunto Appliqué
Invisible Binding
T’ Shirt Hems
Blind Hems
1/16" to 1/4" Narrow Seams
Stitch In A Ditch
1/16"- 1/4" Top Stitching
1/16"- 1/4" Pin tucks
1/16"- 1/4" Edge Stitching Satin Stitch Edge Stitching
Feather Stitch Appliqué
Blanket Stitch Appliqué
Echo Stitching
Edge Joining
Overcasting
Overlocking

If all it does is make stitching in the ditch easier it would be worth it to me.

o

"I called the owner and she said I had to move my needle into the far left position and then adjust the foot to attain the proper seam allowance spacing.

Problem being my machine is a no-frills Kenmore and there is no way to move the needle to the far left EXCEPT when adjusted to the blind stitch setting."

o

I couldn't imagine any machine with less frills than my 46 year old New Home.

I'm just getting back into sewing. Used to make all my own clothes and decorator items as a young mother and homemaker but got away from it as the kids left home and I went back to work. I'm retired now so have too much time on my hands. Needless to say there are a lot of new machines and gadgets that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Not having to change feet as often is great..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here