Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finding blanket binding

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 5:39

I am having a horrid time finding cotton (brushed?) blanket binding. There is a post where someone put a site, but when I click on the site it only brings up blankets with binding for sale. I need a medium/dark gray, maybe 3 inches total width. I have tried Joanns, Wal-Mart, anf small local shops.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finding blanket binding

Weird. That is not the link I originally posted. I googled and found this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrights binding

o

You can make your own, I see quilts done this way and is very nice looking. Chose fabric, prewash, cut into proper width lengthwise or crosswise, sew ends together to make total length needed.PRESS 1/4 seam allowance on each long side to inside. Sew right sides together to the BACK of blanket, miter corners. Fold to cover right side of blanket and stitch as closely to front edge as possible, staying slightly above the stitching line from back. I thought she was crazy the first time I saw it done, but it looks great.

o

I was thinking the same as pammiesue - you don't even have to cut blanket binding on the bias, like you do w/seam binding. I did this on a wool blanket many years ago & the homemade binding has waaay outlasted purchased binding. The purchased binding only lasted a year or so...

o

finding the color has been not so fun- Wright's no longer makes a gray that comes close- I haven't been ablt to find a color that comes close enough.
Now- my Singer needs a part- that is not made (1992 9005 model). Geez, I feel like I am getting smacked in every corner!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here