Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillyhou

Where can I find nice, personalized, 100% woven labels???

jillyhou
17 years ago

I want to give my Mom, who sews a lot for my son, some labels she can put inside the clothing she makes for him. ...A label that would say "Hand Made by Grandma" or something similar. I have looked at Charm Woven Labels, but they print the name, or in this case, the "Grandma"...so it doesn't look that nice. I also looked at labels by Name Maker, but wasn't thrilled with their choices.

Does anyone have any other suggestions they could share with me?

Thank you,

Jill

Comments (15)

• nancynancy
    17 years ago

I sew pillows for my friends as gifts and need to add a personalized woven label as a finishing touch. I've looked on the internet and at the Clotilde and Nancy's Notions catologs. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any woven lables that are attractive and reasonably priced.

I did find an set of eight ready made labels by Delux Woven Labels for only $3.00 at Hancock's. The labels say "Specially Hand Made by Nancy" (you can custom order any name even Grandma at no additional charge).

Unfortunately these labels look like they're straight out of Little House on the Prairie with their corny scissors, spool of thread and old fashioned lettering.

I'd love to have labels that look simple and up to date. There are several companies that sell custom designed woven labels to professionals, but the minimum order is well over $100.

• nancynancy
    17 years ago

Hi Jill,

I just went on the Namemaker website and found this label which looked perfectly acceptable to me. I ordered 20 labels for less than eighteen dollars including shipping.

http://www.namemaker.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=19&idproduct=346

• jillyhou
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy,

I saw those when I was looking and like the design; however, the name is printed on, rather than woven like the rest of the label. I'm worried that it will fade out with repeated washings. What do you think?

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

A lot of people on ebay's boutique world use a lady named Carmen at Lucious Labels. She's in Canada. I've not ordered from her, but they compliment her.
    Susan

• nancynancy
    17 years ago

Jill,

I didn't realize that the names would be printed on rather than woven in. That's not quite as nice.

You're absolutely right that printed names will fade as the items are washed, but they'll probably still be readable through many washings. And I'm sure your mother would get a big kick out of sewing in the labels when the garments are new.

In my case, the pillow covers I sew aren't going to be washed. Still, 100% woven labels would be much nicer.

Nancy

• Islay_Corbel
    17 years ago

What a great excuse to buy an embroidery machine and embroider on ribbon LOL!

• xstpenguin
    17 years ago

I have woven labels, they are "Cash's Name Tapes" and are a famous brand here in the UK, but I don't know if they would be cost effective to ship to the US. I pay £10.45 for 36 labels.

I had a look in Threads magazine's classifieds and came up with this link for Fuhng Satin. They seem to sell what you want, but I don't know anything about the cost.

Hope you find what you want!

Cheers,
    AJ

Here is a link that might be useful: woven labels

• spage1
    17 years ago

Hello Jill, I looked at all the examples of labels made by Name Maker at my Hancocks here in Atlanta. Some were the woven names. I would call them and ask. Unless they have discontinued them I think they will have them. Just a suggestion. The number is 800-241-2890.

• pixiesmama
    17 years ago

Another second for Carmen at Luscious Labels. I used her for my woven labels and she's fantastic (I also order snaps from her). However, true woven labels are expensive -- mine were $200+ for 1000 labels (and 1000 is the minimum). You could easily get away with printed satin labels, which are very professional looking and custom made. I have used satin labels in the past as well.

Meagan

Here is a link that might be useful: Luscious Labels

• inseam
    17 years ago

Here is a link:
    http://namemaker.com/store/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=11

I've ordered from them and the labels look pretty nice. I've also ordered from
    http://www.minilabels.co.uk/
    and these look nicer but I believe the shipping cost is much higher...
    Hope this helps!!

• nancynancy
    17 years ago

I just found the best source for custom 100% woven labels at a reasonable price. The current June/July issue of Vogue Patterns magazine has a full page ad on their first page for the Deluxe Woven Label Collection. There are dozens of options so you can design whatever you want -- something sleek and sophisticated or corny and folksy. You have your choice of 2 lines of text, 20 logos, 5 letter styles, 14 colors of letters, and 10 colors of label background. Considering what you're getting the price is excellent: 36 labels for $21, 72 labels for $27, or 144 labels for $39.00. Shipping is $2.95. There is no U.S. website but there is a British one that unfortunately shows only a few of the options. http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Woven_Labels.html. If you're interested you'll need to buy a copy Vogue Patterns to get the order form.

• KGINDUSTRIES_EARTHLINK_NET
    14 years ago

I suggest you trying KG Industries. They specialize in short run custom woven and non-woven labels and hang tags. See samples @ http://www.geocities.com/madlionn/wovenlabels.html#Custom%20labels

KG Industries
    PO Box 200860
    South Ozone Park, NY 11420
    718 322-4205 Fax 718 529-8756
    Email: kgindustries@earthlink.net

Here is a link that might be useful: CarelabelsUSA.com

• garden_nancy
    13 years ago

Try Allthingslabels.com
    I ordered their name labels and they are 100% woven and great quality. I have a home business making blankets and they were just perfect. I couldn't include my own little logo but they had something that was similar. And the prices are affordable for someone like me.

Here is a link that might be useful: allthingslabels.com

• bs194859_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I BUY MY LABELS FROM HERRSCHNERS.COM. YOU HAVE 9 DIFFERENT LABELS TO CHOSE FROM. THEY ONLY COST 6.99 FOR A ROLL OF 20
    OR 9.99 FOR A ROLL OF 40. YOU HAVE TO CUT THEM WITH PINKING SHEARS. THESE ARE VERY NICE LABELS. I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR YEARS.

• pearlmdt
    12 years ago

I am a dressmaker, sometimes I get small orders from local stores for some of my items. I needed to put labels in the clothing stating the size, fabric content, washing instructions and country of origin. I also wanted to put my logo and web address in the clothing label.

I needed an inexpensive solution for creating individual labels. Here is what I came up with and it works rather well.

Making your own personalized labels:

1. Design your label: I used the Avery business card making software (free download)

2. Cut a piece of fusible, woven interfacing the same size as your printer paper (8.5" x 11")

3. Place the interfacing on a piece of paper. Using a warm iron, fuse just the edges of the interfacting onto the paper, being careful to keep it smooth and free of air bubbles.

4. After you have printed your labels onto the interfaced paper, carefully remove the interfacing from the paper. Place the interfacing onto a piece of pressed, white polycotton or cotton fabric and fuse the interfacting to the fabric.

Now you have a sheet of labels you can cut out and use.
    After you cut them out, you can zig zag the edges if you want. I haven't found the edges to fray in the washer because they are fused.
    I have a Lexmark printer I bought at Walmart. The black ink holds up in the washer, but the color ink washes out.
    If you want to have color in the labels, use a waterproof ink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avery Templates

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!