Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srauterkus

Sewing Room Challenge

srauterkus
18 years ago

Hi All --

** I'll cross-post this to the quilters and see it they can help too!**

We've just decided to have someone come in to our home to care for our two boys instead of sending them to daycare. This means that I'll need to give up my sewing room so that they can have a playroom. My challenge, then, is to turn a portion of our unfinished basement into a new sewing room for me. I have LOTS of equipment, so it may be nice to have more (probably twice as much) space. However, how do you make an unfinished basement feel cozy? The biggest challenge is dealing with the walls and floors. The walls are just 2'x4' studs wrapped with insulation (with that silvery wrapping on top) and the floors are unsealed concrete. I was thinking about getting a few bolts of $1/yard fabric from Walmart and stapling that to the walls. What do you think?

Stephanie

Comments (11)

• Yaya7
    18 years ago

Just an idea, but would you have any use for maybe one wall having pegboard, and using it for storing/hanging sewing supplies. You could also partially cover a wall like that. Put in some built in shelves into the walls for storage also. If you've any quilts, maybe lay them out as a backdrop against a wall, for decor. Visualize what you've seen in the quilt shops, they always have such nice ideas into their decor.
    Yaya

• monicatx
    18 years ago

I love the idea of stapling the fabric to the walls. Some of Walmart's $1. fabric is quite thick. Many years ago, I stapled fabric to two walls in my house (at that time). We also added batting under the fabric to have it hang better and help the sound in the room. I had to hang the fabric from the ceiling down - because of that you may have to have your husband add some 2 x 4's just where your fabric width ends.

As far as the floor goes, I would paint it a light color to make the room brighter. Basement rooms are very dark and can be dreary. Therefore, I think you should pick out a cheerful color scheme. Big lots has some inexpensive 8 x 10 rugs and I'd buy a few and scatter them where you would be standing and working.

Another idea is to add lots of light. My daughter took me to a garden tour recently and in two of the gardens and adjoining patios, the owners had wrapped trees and posts with Christmas lights, like an outdoor restuarant seating area. Why don't you wrap your support posts that are in each basement like that? Your children would love that also.

I think if you have fun with your decorating, you'll love your new area. It sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

• joansews4u
    18 years ago

Sometimes you can find damaged paneling or sheets usually for bathrooms & get good prices. When you shelve, you hide flaws. Depending upon heating & cooling, fabric may not be a good choice. It may absorb moisture that will in turn mold or mildew depending upon humidity.

My sewing is in the basement & it doesn't bother me. I do use a dehumidifer. I have lots of pot lights & use florescent bulbs in the summer to keep it from heating up too much. Sometimes I switch back to reg bulbs in the winter. I have Ott lights at each sewing station too.

Floors were hardwood already. Pins get caught in cracks. I got a magnet but some pins can't be picked up. I don't like carpet because of pins & fabric scraps. My last one had vinyl flooring & I liked it. My upper walls were already a light wall paper & the bottom is dark. That has worked ok.

I go with the suggestion for using some peg board. Again, ask if they have any damaged pieces at reduced prices.

If humidity is not a problem & you go with fabric, I would first seam the panels to eliminate waste as you go along stapleing it up. If you would get piece of plastic water pipe & roll it up on it, you can handle it better & another person can pull it taut as one staples.

Good luck & let us know how you decide to finish it up.

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

Decorating Cents on HGTV did a basement sewing room a while back. You might could search their site and get some ideas.
    Susan

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Since you live in N.Y. state where it gets cold in the winter,is this going to be a problem for you???Will you need to insulate these walls to make it more comfortable down there???Also a cement floor can be very cold in the winter,even with tile on it.I know,as i live in S.Calif and have a tile over cement floor in my sewing room and my feet freeze in the winter,and we don't get near as cold weather as you folks do.
    In your situation i would keep the weather in mind as i went about re doing this room as a sewing room.Thinking about insulation,heater and perhaps fans for the summer months.Also lighting may be a big problem as basements always seem to be dark and dreary,so you may need to install a lot of new lights.Just some ideas and things you may want to keep in mind.Good luck,in whatever you decide to do.
    Kathi

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    18 years ago

Yes. Use lots of new lights. Nothing like wearing your new black skirt to the office and discovering when you sit down at your desk that you used navy thread.

• srauterkus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I had an electrician come over yesterday and take a look at it. He said the fixtures I have will take 250 watt bulbs. I've never even seen a 250 watt bulb. Would that be too bright is there any such thing as "too bright" in a sewing room! :-)

Stephanie

• joansews4u
    18 years ago

I bought some of the fixtures & bulbs as surplus when some government buildings upgraded their lighting systems. Mine were from a City Hall/Court House renovation. The globes are what were in schools when I was a kid...centries ago!!!

You may stumble upon a surplus sale & find some too. I don't think you can get too bright but 250 watts put out some heat.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

RE: lighting - has anyone else tried any of those newer compact flourescents yet? I've replaced most of my incandescent bulbs w/ 'em to reduce energy costs - they fit most conventional fixtures.You can get much more illumination using much less energy & they put out very little heat.I understand that most of the energy used by incandescent bulbs goes into creating heat anyway.(remember EasyBake ovens?)

Compact flourescents cost a bit more initially, but last MUCH longer - & the Home Depot here had a terrific economy pack of 6 for only 10$ or so.

FWIW, HTH

• ellen76
    18 years ago

I second Kathi's point about making sure to do something to warm up the floor. I had a home office in the basement of our house in Northern Virginia, and although the basement was a bright and light finished walk-out, the floors still got very cold. It was not the kind of cold that you notice immediately. But after an hour or two, the cold travels through your feet up your legs and grabs your attention, even in the middle of summer. In my case, the flooring was vinyl tile over concrete.

I solved the chill problem by getting an electric heated floormat that was intended for industrial use. It was about three feet wide and two feet deep and I got it on the Internet for about $70. It gives off a gentle, low heat so it was not a problem for computer equipment right next to it. Another option, if your budget can handle it, might be to have a contractor install radiant heating in the basement floor. I haven't done this myself, but I have heard a lot of good things about it, and it's easiest (read cheapest) to install it in an unfinished basement.

Good luck and happy sewing!

• rhonda_luther_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

Friday the contractor completed wall construction in my basement sewing room. The ceiling is unfinished so we spray painted it white. Looks great and reflects the light well. We put in 5 can lights in a 14'2" by 14"2" room. Right now they have 60 watt bulbs and it is plenty of light. I have two Ott lights from my old sewing area just in case. We also placed a 5' bar of plug-ins in the center of the room. Each wall is on a different circuit. Yes it cost the husband, but my not yelling about the circuit blowing AGAIN will be good. Each wall has 4 outlets placed 3' from the floor so I don't have to bend over. Also we placed 4 outlets in the ceiling and I have a TV in one corner of the room hanging from the ceiling. Great because it doesn't take up floor space. Still checking into flooring. Had carpet before not that big of a problem and much warmer than anything else I have used. Definitely keep a dehumidifier running. There are also radiant heaters for about $400 that will easily keep the chill of the whole house, great for the basement.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer