Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with Elna sewing machine?

Posted by canucklady (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 20:40

Hi everyone,

Newly retired and with a new granddaughter (and another grandchild due later this year) I've dusted off my geriatric Singer sewing machine which is older even than I am! It was my mother's. Time for a new one.

I feel quite out of touch and on the advice of a friend who is a high school home ec teacher, I've been looking at Janome machines. I learned today that Elna are made by Janome and are slightly less pricey. I've been looking closely at the 520 and am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Elna, and/or specifically this model? A local dealer sells these (also Pfaff, Husquvarna and Janome) and after a lengthy discussion today she suggested the Elna 520.

I would say my sewing skills & experience fall in the intermediate category; make drapes, soft furnishings, baby and children's clothes (all those years ago, now to revisit that happy time as a grandma).

Any information would be really welcome. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with Elna sewing machine?

I have owned 4 Elna sewing and 2 sergers..I still have 2 machines and a serger. All were originals made by Elna in Sweden except my recent purchase of the 7100 made by Janome. They were all great--very long lasting and dependable. I still have my Elna Carina with air pedal in my closet, but the 7100 is a different animal...has a bigger throat for quilting and only does strait stitching. However, I have been very pleased with it's performance. I would suggest you look at the Pfaff,,I have 2 of these and they are very good machines. They have built in IDT so you never need to buy a walking foot--and you can choose the features you want. Brother makes very friendly machines also--I have 2 of their embroidery models and I love, love love them!

o

Elnas were never made in Sweden. They were Swiss. But you cannot compare the old European ones with the new Janome made ones - its apples and oranges.

o

I agree, cooksnsews...it popped into my head just today that I should have said Tavaro,(?) Switzerland. My bad! Everyone has her own opinion about what the best machine is, and it is good we can share our opinions. Because if we all liked one brand best, there would be no options to choose from.

o

Thank you for the feedback. I very much appreciate it.

The Elna I've been looking at I think will suit my needs for now; it comes with a plexi glass table , walking foot, 1/4" foot and free motion foot included in the $599 price. I thought that sounded good as I've been checking around for awhile.

She also includes lessons in the price as I am going to need them to maximize all the features it offers.

Thanks again, please feel free to add any other comments as it'll be next week before I can get in there to buy it.

clady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here