Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coats and Clark thread knot

Posted by birdtalker (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 20:36

I have been sewing with a spool of Coats and Clark thread. Not the first garment I have made with this spool, and half way through another and after winding two bobbins, I suddenly came upon two spots which were knotted. Not a snarl or anything like that. They were real tidy knots in which the tails were neatly cut off!! Stopped my machine right in its tracks. In over 50 years of sewing, I have never seen this!! Has anyone has this experience??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coats and Clark thread knot

I have never seen that either....must be getting poorer quality over time. I know when I was talking to the lady who sold me my viking, she was big into gutterman threads.

o

Is it a very old spool of thread? Old thread can be finicky. And is it cotton or polyester? I have best luck with Gueterman cotton.

o

I bought it new a Joann's about 2 years ago. Is that old these days?? I have used Gutterman's a bit but at Joann's I don't often find the colors I need. Joann's ran all the other fabric stores out so I am stuck with them.

o

Coats and Clark thread does that sometimes... Especially the black. I do not know why... but we had to stop using that brand in our alterations shop a few yr back. Most is ok... but black always wanted to knot and shredd. We went to using Geutermans and never had that problem again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here