Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I soften/break in some fabric????

Posted by elainedla (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 19:48

I have some fabric that is too "puffy". I have washed it,
soaked it in fab softener and it is still to stiff. Is there a way to break the fabric down a bit more so it has
more of a broken in look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I soften/break in some fabric????

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it's too puffy..but after soaking it it's too stiff. Could you add some more details here? What kind of fabric is it? Is it a cotton, polyester or a decorator fabric? This might help with a solution.

Most fabrics that are washable can be washed 2 or 3 times in the washer and dried as many times, and it will help remove any sizing or treatment on the fabric. I sometimes throw a bath towel in while washing it to help "scrub" the fabric to help with making fabrics softer.

Woodsy

o

Maybe washing with a cup or so of vinegar in the water?????

o

Thank you both, the towel helped a bit. The word I was
looking for was relax the fabric. I have not sewn in about
25 years, I could have sworn there was something that would
relax fabric.

o

Repeated washing and drying relaxes fabric. Unfortunately, this sometimes fades it, too. The towel idea is good. When I fluff my down comforter, I add a sneaker to thrash into it during the cycle. Something else to try.

o
RE: How can I remove the stiffnes from new jeans?

I have two new pairs of jeans that are so stiff I can't sit down in them. How can I get them soft? They are so uncomfortable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here