Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

HELP! Making Patio chair cushions

Hi all,

I went looking for 8 patio chair cushions (just the seats not backs) and couldn't believe the prices! Has anyone made these before? What do I need as far as the stuffing? Should I get ready made 'pillow' inserts? Thanks a bunch in advance for any information and guidance.

Comments (16)

• joansews4u
    18 years ago

You may be able to find something at a thrift store to recover. I have not seen anything suitable for outdoors as far as inserts.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wonder what they use in the store bought ones? I tried squeezing a cushion to figure out what they had inside but don't have an answer. Wasn't keen on ripping one open in the store!lol

Thanks.

• budster
    18 years ago

Are you leaving these cushions out all the time in the winds and rain? That will determine what kind of fabric you use....if you are being fairly careful and bring them in during rains etc. they will last longer and you won't need anything waterproof. Mine which are storebought have a pad with batting overtop...but are not waterproof and so they have been taken in every night, and not left out. I just find they stay nicer and last forever then.....the only reason mine are storebought is they were cheap and I was able to match up with my umbrella - which dare I say I also bring in.....lasted l5 years now.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I will bring in whatever I buy or make. Actually, my sister told me about some that she bought tonight for $14.99 at Tuesday Morning. Only problem is that there are two colours to choose from.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Why not check stores like Big Lots,they usually have them this time of the year for not a lot of money.
    Budster is right though,if you bring them in every night you can use decorator fabric,plain old cottons,denim ,whatever.But for me,i'd never remember to do that.Last year i took the cushions from my swing and one at a time washed them in the washer,and they came out fine.Mine are the original cushions and are covered with the outdoor fabric.(sunbrella)
    Kathi

• softfurn
    18 years ago

The real expensive cushions usually use a quick drying foam or dacron . Regular foam holds water and moisture, which will result in mold breeding. The Sunbrella fabric will still get dirt and mold, and periodically needs to be washed, however, it is more durable and fade resistant. Decorator fabric is not fade resistant and would need to be preshrunk if you are going that route. So , there is your reason for them being expensive. I make them for clients all the time, but it is so time consuming and the materials(insides) are expensive, that the expensive ready mades are far cheaper. But, you pretty mach get what you pay for.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Softfurn I think I'll go ahead and buy the ones with the sunbrella fabric for those times that I forget to bring them in. I was trying to justify spending the money since I could make them if I wanted to, but in the end they just might turn out as expensive, if not more! I see that Sears has some that look quite nice online, and the price is for two plus I have a $10 coupon off if I use my card.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well sadly enough, Sears said they didn't have any cushions. The ones they did have earlier on were last year's stock! They said that these cushions don't sell very well, isn't that strange?

• budster
    18 years ago

maybe have to sew some up anyway. Good luck.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Never did make it to Tuesday Morning, so I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'm terrified at the prospect of making them now. Want to be more experienced at sewing. Have only taken two sessions and I'm still struggling to understand some patterns.

• budster
    18 years ago

One step at a time......don't worry about it. Make a trial with inexpensive fabric....like hit Walmart's dollar table and buy a yard or two....then do a trial run. Or if you have an old sheet or something to cut up and try...make one and see what difficulties you run into...come here and post someone will help you out. Just take your time, check your measurements TWICE before cutting...breathe deep and jump in. It will be fine. Lots of experienced people here to hold your hand. At least try...what can you lose?

• lehuagarden
    18 years ago

I am making covers for my existing pillows-seat and backs. I am covering them w/ an outdoor fabric and using velcro closers to take the covers off if needed. Just trace a pattern out and sew allowing for seam allowances, and ties.
    Try one out of muslin or sheets first.

• cmc_97
    18 years ago

I've used this product
    Sew Perfect® NU-Foam® Densified Batting

to make a cushion. The cushion has held up fairly well - not overly compacted.

It's designed for outdoor furniture and the description of "densified batting" is accurate. It won't hold water like other stuffings or foams. It has real density, but at the same time, it's "airy" so that water will run out.

This Hancock's web site has only one size, but it does come in various sizes and thicknesses (I bought mine at a Hancock's store).

CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: densified batting.

• User
    18 years ago

Since all the stores have Halloween and fall items on display, the garden and outdoor living things are going an sale. I'll bet you'll be able to pick some up at Walmart for a good price and recover them to match your decor.

I have a wicker set on my front porch that I recover for each season, just basic pillowcases with ribbon ties in back. I just use the original pillows that came with the set so many years ago.

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

So, did you make the cushions? How did they come out?
    I am researching info on making my own for the curvy bench I just bought. The cheapest cushion I found on line is over 200 dollars (shipping incl). So, I want to try my hand in making my own.

~Natalie

• fanmountaineer_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I took one of the cushions apart and used that as my pattern and it went back just like new. I used the orginial filling and sprayed them with freebreze and they smelled nice and fresh and worked great.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living