Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budster_gw

I am a fabricholic.........

budster
14 years ago

I cannot resist the tiny bits of colorful bolt ends in the bargin bin, I cannot resist the "50% off" sale signs at the ends of long aisles of bolt after bolt, I cannot pass the "TODAY ONLY" signs above the drawers of patterns. Then there are the bits of lace....the last 1/4 metre of such pretty ribbons (why didn't I notice when there were metres of the stuff?) And then there is thread...not your basic whites, blacks, browns...no no the ones that sparkle and twist and let's not even mention verigated stuff.....it's hopeless I tell you....I'm a fabricholic, I can't help myself.

Comments (9)

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

Welcome to the club, but don't expect any interventions from us. We all have the same problem in varying degrees. However, some of us do not buy some things. Such as I haven't bought a jumper, dress, or blouse in years. I'd rather be a fabricholic than shopaholic.

• empress
    14 years ago

What I want to know is -- budster, what did you do? Must have been a really good day to prompt that post. LOL.

• budster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No not an overwhelming day with fabric, it's just that most shopping days I arrive home with a bit of "something" either fabric or sewing wise. Yesterday was let's see... 1 1/2 metres of nifty fabric featuring bar glasses ....from Walmart who are closing things down as you know and prices are getting lower and lower. I will be buying some more from them as the days of fabric are winding down. The day before it was some on sale fat quarters and 3 metres of lovely floral fabric ......on sale of course. The day before that was a small piece of "Noah's ark" fabric from the thrift store...for a quarter what can you do?? It co-ordinates with other stuff I have....and then there was the bag of laces from another walmart day....bits of lovely trim......just enough to "embelish" something somewhere sometime.......ahhhhhh I'm hopeless.....I have my stash already but things keep on growing....it's an illness...what can I say. I am a fabricholic....there is no hope!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 years ago

Haha - good post!

My weakness is the odd bits & remnants I find @ thrift stores - I just can't resist - & don't get me started on the patterns & notions! I could start my own vintage sewing shop = J

• jaybird
    14 years ago

uh-oh, I'm hiding out here....don't tell DH that there is yet ANOTHER package coming from Fabric dot com!! They advertised a sale this morning, and what is a girl to do???? I have new DR/LR cafe's in my future :^) All for $1.99/yard and free shipping!! How can you beat a deal like that? 'Course I could send you all the bits and bobs that are littering my sewing room and then I might have space to work on the big stuff :^)

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Hi, my name is Marion and I am a fabricholic...and proud of it! Although I have been very good about my problem since moving to FL 7 years ago.
    I worked in fabric stores (ah the selections and the DISCOUNTS) for many years. I always thought that when I retired I would take up quilting. Dh always thretened to start a 12 step program just for me.
    When we moved I sold (ah the pain) about 900 yards of calico at an advertised "Fabric Yard Sale". I had lots of help to premeasure and price. People were lined up an hour early. LOL What fun! We sold it all though.
    I still have lots and lots of fabric. Why do I still have wool and cashmere I live in FL for heaven sake!

Years ago a customer gave me a clipping from a quilting magazine that a woman wrote, it was all about what would happen to her stash when she died and the joy of touching her fabric. One funny line was about even though she had all of this fabric it was not the right fabric for the next project. Hence, more shopping!

• aok27502
    14 years ago

My mother had a bumper sticker on the wall in her sewing room, which read "she who dies with the most fabric, wins". I cleaned out her sewing room ... yep, she won!!

• donnas_gw
    14 years ago

I worked in a fabric/craft store for almost 10 years right up to the day they went out of business. I think the reason I bought so much was all those beautiful colors jumping out at me. I have about 10-12 large plastic see-through bins full of fabric. I buy very seldom now because what I do have, I just go through it and look at it LOL. Kind of overwhelming now.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I feel your pain! It's to the point where I have to send hub or a kid to the fabric store to buy a zipper or spool of thread or interfacing so I won't see and buy more fabric. I have enough to clothe the family for years, but I want more. And, I inherited my mother's stash, too!

Nowadays, I am getting a large charge out of making things from what I have on hand. But....the other day my 27 yo dtr wanted a new dress, so she and I went together to get fabric (she was very specific about what she wanted). It was hard, believe me, but I escaped with only one other piece of fabric to add to the stash. And dtr's new dress is gorgeous!

Sherry