Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budster_gw

Francy........Are you still depressed??

budster
14 years ago

Did you figure out your dart problem....are you going blind matching fabric for your valances??? Kicked the kids off the machine ??? I bet you have tucked Magnolia back in the box and nested it with the T&S and gone back to fighting with double-point needles and wool. Budster

Comments (8)

• bayareafrancy
    14 years ago

Well, I did start a new sock (my first attempt at lace, so we'll see how it goes), but I'm promising myself I'll only work on it a.) when I'm out of the house, b.) when my back hurts from hunching over the machine, c.) when the boys want to sew.

I worked on the valances all day yesterday, and much of today. I finished one last night. It came out pretty well, so I'm feeling happy. In my typical fashion, it was a completely nitpicky, specific job, and I almost got it right!

The valances all need to be straight and taut--like cornices. The one I did last night is hanging across a recessed area, on a tension rod. So, the ends of the valance need come EXACTLY to the ends of the rods, where the whole thing is "enclosed" between 2 cabinets. Does that make sense?

Here is a pix of my kitchen during renovation/restoration (it is a 1929 kitchen). The valance spans the top of the windows, enclosed by the cabinets on either end. (pardon the totally slobby photo--I think I took this one for the kitchen forum when I was trying to decide if I should put up 2 pendants.)

Well, I measured the expanse at the bottom of the window (because I didn't want to climb up and measure near the ceiling.

Then I sewed and sewed.

And.....

Oh my goodness, the width was CORRECT! Holy moley, I actually got it exactly right. I have no idea how, because I think I even forgot to measure at times. I got really lucky!!!

So I hang the thing up....

Oh.

Old 1929 house.

The width between the cabinets up near the ceiling is almost 1/2" narrower than down at the bottom where I measured!!!!!!

A half inch off!!!

But no way was I going to take it apart for that. So, on one end, the fabric is the teeniest, weeniest bit scrunched to accommodate that half inch.

I have 2 more to go. I'm currently working on one that is about 105" wide. I had to join the vertical stripes twice, and by the third join, I got it matched perfectly on the first try! Hooray!! These last 2 valances will go on regular rods, so if I am off by a half inch, it won't matter.

The Magnolia is beyond cool! I've been plaing with faux serging (with the fancy overcast options) some edges, rather than hemming them. It looks pretty nifty. And I've learned how to do a blind hem, though I really want to buy the blind hem foot. Using the regular foot is very stressful, and my forehead is so close to the machine, I think I'd better wear a hair net for safety! The combination of the "fake serge" and the blind hem, gives them a store bought look, which is kind of fun.

I'll try to get some photos up soon. My internet connection was down all day...

:-)

francy

• budster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Francy those look fabulous.....and you would never know from the photo that they didn't come from a specialty curtain shop....you know those high class joints that are called things like "Blinds and more"....."Window Magic". You might want to think about making little samples of some of the things you are trying and put them in a binder with the settings written down. I did that with my serger and it has helped me alot......maybe you don't need to do that but it was just a thought. Blind hemmers are wonderful! Do save your pennies for one of those feet. It will save you time and effort when you really get on a roll. Now do tell how are the boys doing with the new machine? Are they finding it a wonderous new thing and want to "make myself" something. Sleep shorts are great...they teach classes for kids and that is one of the unisex items they make first off. Now is Mr. Francy impressed???? He should be. I'm also impressed on how nice and straight they appear across the bottom....they are just the right length for your windows and won't be continually have to be washed because of splashes. Wonderful wonderful......valances, aprons and soon summer tops will be just some of your many talents. I bow to your skill. Budster

• bayareafrancy
    14 years ago

No--wait! Put down your fifth glass of wine! Look again: those aren't the valances!

:-)

Those are just some cafe cutains that I actually stapled to the window to keep the afternoon sun out of my eyes until I can order some vintage cloth roller shades.

The valance is red and white striped, and hasn't posed for a photo yet. I just put up the photo so I could show the tight, recessed expanse that I was trying to span. And to show how the curtain is 1/2 inch off because the cabinets are not perfectly parallel.

So now you need to compliment all over again once I post a photo of the real deal.

:-P

I finished the 100+ inch one around midnight. *yawn*

francy

• budster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well dang me........musta been the last glass of bingo. Well I like the look anyway LOL.....didn't know the colors you were going with - red and white.....how 50's! And I was impressed as heck.....OK good staple job then! LOL. I like these....I thought the stripe just didn't show up...dang it all girl.....show the real thing when you get done...I did not see where in your posting you didn't say these were not the valances....(yes I know the difference between a valance and a cafe....ahhhhhhhh just didn't register with me when I was looking at the picture - *taking quick sip from hip flask*) Looks mighty nice anyway....why pray would you replace those.....oh I know, it isn't 1950 looking. Budster

• budster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Francy is your house like the Weezley's (sp?) from Harry Potter series??? *Emptied hip flask* Budster

• bayareafrancy
    14 years ago

Ok--I hung the "monster valance" (the 100+ inches one).

I'm exhausted!

*Pop cork to celebrate. Refill Budster's flask.*

*glug glug glug*

I think it will ultimately look pretty good. This long expanse of stripes is so darn hard to get perfect--the slightest tilt in the fabric or the rod makes them look wonky.

*glug glug glug*

I need a better rod. The current one is all wobbly from being stretched so long.

*hic*

*hic*

I'm all outta fabric, and can't do the third one until I get more.

*glug glug glug glug*

*hic*

*hic*

*yawn*

*BONK*

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• dollydolots
    14 years ago

Good Grief!!!!!!
    Are you feeding the QOP the hard stuff mixed with wine?
    No hooting wonder her sewing room is such a ghastly mess.
    Dolly

• budster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Never mind the mess Dolly, it will give you something to do besides covet my melonballers (a long sad tale from a few years ago...Dolly can confirm that one!). ummmmmm Duchess Dolots....are you ever gonna play with your embroidery stitches on your fancy smancy machine?? Someone wake up Francy and get her moving on the other valances....and then we want a picture with the new look please miss Francy. And you never said is DH impressed with your skill with Magnolia?