Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gawlt

How hard is it to sew throw pillows?

gawlt
15 years ago

I need some REAL, down to earth advice. I have 8 pillows to make out of upholstery fabric and trim that I have. 4 with ribbon looped fringe and 4 with cording that has a sewn on lip. I want to include a zipper in each. I want them to look professional.

I have sewn 5 quilts, drapes and bedding for a crib and a king bed including a dust ruffle for each. I have no formal training. I have never sewn in a zipper or used the fancy cording with a sewn on lip.

For some reason I'm intimidated by the zipper (want it hidden and concerned about the bulk) and the fancing cording (want the lip hidden but it seems like it will show) and the idea that it has to look "professional".

Is it that hard to put pillows like these together? Should I breakdown and pay a professional (the cheapest I could find is $50 a pillow - so that is $400 total just for the sewing?)

Thanks for your advice. G

Comments (4)

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

As a professional, I have sewn throw pillows for more than 10 years. Usually they were needlepoint tops, which needed blocking before sewing. If I had to add a zipper (difficult with ANY sort of trim), I'd add at least $10 per pillow, and more if they wanted it in the outside edge seam of the pillow.

First question - why do you want a zipper? Do you want to be able to clean the cover? If so, an overlap closure with buttons or velcro in the center back of the pillow is a better solution - less bulk than a zip. Zippers are also damned difficut to put in a seam with trims.

Second question - does the pillow need to be reversible? If not, the overlap closure with a zipper is possible. If yes, the the overlap is best done with decorative buttons and button holes.

I can't even begin to tell you how many customers wanted their needlepointed pillows with the two or three fancy trims who wanted me to insert a zipper into the seam. I charged at least $10/trim piece plus the $10/zipper.

With loopy or ribbon fringe - PLEASE do not rip out the chain stitch holding the loops in place! If you do, I will seriously charge another $10 per pillow, because I have to groom the stuff every single inch to make sure your lovely fringey bits aren't stuck in a seam.

With rope type cording with a lip, I still have to unravel 2 inches on each end of the cord, and weave them together, and resew. You will not see the tape, but you don't want a zipper in that seam either. It's bulky and difficult to open and close, and it will eventually snag that lovely trim.

There really isn't a way to incorporate a zipper into a seam with these heavy trims, and have it look good, at least not for a reversible pillow.

Do a nicely finished overlapped closure with decorative buttons, or velcro, or even a zipper with a deep overlap to cover it.
    You'll get a better pric if you simply opt for a sewn-up pillow. Just like your sofa or other upholstered furniture, they can be cleaned.

All that said, you are getting a good price on those pillows. I'm retired now, but I'd have charged you at least that.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

There are lots of free directions on the net,just type in sewing throw pillows.Also go to your local library and see if they have the Singer Sewing for the Home books.There's a very good one on pillows,step by step,lots of color pictures etc.Sunset also has books out on the subject.HTH
    Kathi

• tavernhill
    15 years ago

You have received great advice.
    I would also advise against a zipper in the seam for trimmed pillows. The loop fringe will get caught up in the zipper, what a mess!

You can insert a zipper near the bottom. To do this you will put in the zipper about an inch or two up from the bottom before you sew the front to the back.

The fringe probably will not be that hard to sew. For both trims don't try to square the corners, just slightly round them off.

The decorative cord can be difficult if you do not have a professional or industrial machine. In order to sew without any of the lip showing you must stitch into the edge of the cord. I suggest you sew with the face fabric on top and the cord under the fabric using a cording foot. Don't try to sew next to the cord but you will sew into the cord.

If you would like to pursue pillow making as a career check out the Custom Home Furnishings Academy in Charlotte NC for fabrication classes. www.chfschool.com

Good Luck,
    Susan

• gawlt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU!!! Just the advice I needed! You are sweet to take the time. G

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery