Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing Machine Back-up?

Posted by annie1971 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 18:09

I took my serger in for repair a couple of weeks ago and now my sewing machine has gone wonkie and it's in the shop. My serger and sewing machine are both Bernina. I kind of think I should have a back up sewing machine or possibly a commercial grade sewing machine that just straight stitched like crazy. That's pretty much all I do anyway and don't need fancy stitches unless I could find something that embroidered without too much effort, as well. I would appreciate anybody's thoughts on basic quality machines.
I'm just getting started in a small business effort. I'm having a lot of fun, but can't stand to be without the use of my machines. Thanks for your opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing Machine Back-up?

If all you are looking for is a straight-stitch machine for back-up, I suggest finding a good vintage machine. I use nothing but antique and vintage machines (nothing newer than 1960) and have almost no problems with them, ever. I have a small machine quilting business and I do all my custom work on treadle sewing machines--I don't even like the idea of an electric motor conking out on me!

Annie

o

Annie, I wish I had kept my 1968 Singer. Loved that machine! I think my reference to a back-up machine was not accurate. I'm thinking of a commercial machine to use exclusively and using my Bernina as back-up for straight stitch and whatever special things it can do for me, depending on my project. Gotta hand it to you, though. I guess that treadle never lets you down in a power outage, either.
Annie

o

Take a look at my machines (Studio and National Sewing Machines albums) and the work I'm doing with them (Quilts and Quilting Motifs albums.) I love my treadles, but good vintage electrics are pretty easy to find at thrift stores, garage sales and auctions.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's albums

o

A truly industrial machine is going to set you back some bucks unless you find an older machine at auction or thrift store. Don't be fooled by labels of "commercial/industrial heavy-duty machine" on some of the ebay auctions. People that know have pointed out that the machines being sold are not industrial - just work-horse vintage machines with too high a price tag.

A vintage Singer 99 or 15-91 or 301 machine would be a the types of machines I would suggest. Unless you are trying to sew thru leather or layers of denim, a commercial machine may not be necessary for your business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here