Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

They are closing

barb_roselover_in
12 years ago

I am so disgusted. I don't live in a large town but trying to get used to the idea that our super Walmart does not handle fabric anymore and now finding out that our JoAnn store is also closing in about a month. That ends it as far as our fabric places. I don't drive out of town anymore. What's the answer. Anybody? Barb

Comments (4)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Well, there's always online shopping...don't know how you feel about that.

I read that WalMart is returning fabric to their stores; maybe the one in your town will be carrying fabric again soon!

Donna

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

Joanns was sold some time back and it has gone downhill ever since.. So far we still have our local one.. It has changed. I talked to a couple ladies that work there and they say it has really been changed. They are only allowed two workers at a time working. That is ok on a normal day but when there is a sale it is horrible.. I really feel bad for them.. They closed one about 5 years ago that was so nice and always busy. They did it when Walmart came to town and now as we all know Walmart does not carry fabric..

We have one of the Super Joanns in Indy and it remodeled recently and what a disaster.. It is so crammed that the carts are hard getting down the isles. And on a sale day, the waiting line to get fabric cut is a nightmare.. They closed all the cutting areas but one large one. The first Saturday I went after they made the change I had 34 people in front of me waiting. You now take a number. People were just leaving carts with fabric in them and leaving the store..

The last time I was there it was during the week and not busy. I had fabric cut and I talked to the lady that had been working on the busy day I stood in line. I told her about the busy day and she told me what was going on. They want them to not spend more then a minute on a customer. If you are a sewer you know this is not possible on most cases. What about the people that have questions on the fabric. Many people don't know how much fabric is needed. They don't want them to leave the cutting table even if someone needs help with thread or something else. I wrote them and they did write back. They sent the email on to the store. They emailed me with all kind of excuses..

Joanns is not what it used to be..

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Susie, I have one of those big JoAnn's near me. I never, ever go on a weekend, unless I can get there before 11 am. They operate the same way...take a number and wait, wait, wait to have fabric cut, then go wait, wait, wait in one line for the cash registers. No express line, which drives me crazy!

I also think they should have an information desk. It also drives me crazy to be waiting to have one piece of fabric cut so I can get on with my project, and the person at the cutting station is trying to help someone who has apparently never sewn before and suddenly decided they want to make drapes, or sofa cushion covers, or a prom dress.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Donna

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

The first time I went after the new change I found the checkout as bad. I even told them they needed more help.. The one I go to has a long lane you have to go through before even getting to the register.. Poor, poor planning. Ours has even cut down on the table where you look at the pattern books.. There used to be a long table with chairs on each side, now there is only one table with 6 chairs.. I often see people standing trying to look check out the book. They are losing customers..