Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Underarm Shields

Posted by mishkyn (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 15:36

Dear Forum,
I am a new member---longtime sewer and crafter, and also love wearing delicate natural fabrics, especially silk.

Unfortunately, most deoderants tend to leave behind enough residue to stain silk blouses, no matter how little you perspire.

I have purchased dress shields in the past and found them to be cumbersome, noisy--strange, but true, they un-stick from the garments etc.

I would like to make my own shields, but have been unable to find any information on the web about doing so. I would like to use 3-4 layers of tee shirt material. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mishkyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Underarm Shields

How would it work to take the purchased ones and use them as a pattern to cut your own? You could then zig-zag or serge the edges of your tee shirt material together and put what ever sort of attachments that you want to use on your blouses.

o

Oh, that brings back memories. My aunt used to wear those regularly and they were always washed and hung in her bathroom to dry. I didn't know what they were until someone told me!

I like making light cotton shels (or you could make them out of something slinky, if you like) to go underneath see-through type of fabric. If you made a little cap sleeve on it, you could line the underarm area with your shields, couldn't you? Then the garment could slip over the whole thing. Just a thought.

o

Have you ever tried to use the natural deoderant crystal? It is clear, you just wet it and put it on or use right out of the shower while you are still wet. My husband and I both have one. My husband is a mailmain and is out in all type of weather and by the end of the day he never smells bad. I started to use it because years ago I had trouble with some sort of blockage under my arms with the glads. These rocks last for a long time too. I got my first one from a vitamin book, some beauty supply places sell them too. Here is a site that sells one similar to mine. http://www.pureandnaturaldeodorant.com/productCat49926.ctlg
Here is another one http://www.herbspro.com/15182/LeCrystalNaturelDeodorantCrystalRock.htm
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here