Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobkatt_gw

Help: Making a fitted sheet smaller.

bobkatt
11 years ago

I have a pull out sofa bed that measures 52 x 72 inches. Mattress is 4.5 thick and I have an inch topper to put on it. I just bought a new full size sheet which is 54 wide by 75 long. Pocket seams are 8 inches long. It is 500 thread count cotton and has an elastic all the way around

So I have to shorten it lengthwise 3 inches and width wise 2 inches. Do I have to rip it apart and redo it? or is there another way. I haven't really done any elastics yet and was trying to avoid that if I can but will give it a shot if that is the only way to do it.

Comments (10)

• bobkatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you,
    Just so I am clear on instructions.
    will I be making a seam all around the mattress where the top edges would be? or will I be making a new seam only in the areas near the four existing corner seams?

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

No just make new corners. That is all that is needed to make them fit. The excess can be tucked in under the mattress and the elastic being all around will hold it there. You will be taking the corners in about an inch on the width and an inch and a half on the length so on the head and foot it will be an inch for the width and on the sides it will be about 1 1/2 inches on each end for the length. When you sew it start at what will be your new top corners and taper it to the elastic and let the elastic do the work of tightening the bottom. so each corner seam will be 1 in x 1 1/2 inches from the existing corner seam at the top and tapering to nothing at the bottom

If you still don't like the look then sew the corners straight down and go right over the elastic then sew back and forth over the elastic to strengthen the seam but I really think the tapering will be enough

• noinwi
    11 years ago

You might want to launder the sheet first to see how much(or if)it will shrink before you alter it.

• Cathy MacDonald
    8 years ago

I just tried this method on some sheets that were to big for our beds. Works wonderfully!!

Since these are built -in bunk beds for our Grandchildren, at my age I find it hard to make the top bunks, I am going to make tucks in the top sheet bottom so I can slip them on easrie. Thanks so much

• talley_sue_nyc
    8 years ago

That's a handy technique if you find Twin Long sheets you want to use for a regular Twin bed.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Goodness! I have queen sheets I need to make fit a double bed. I can't find doule sized sheets (that I like) anywhere around here. Is that all I need to do: make the corners smaller? But the length is right: it's the width that is too wide. Will they still fit if I do all four corners?

• janetcromer28
    8 years ago

i am trying to make a queen fitted sheet fitt an extra long twin adjustable bed it is to wide but the length is good

• smcoco0155
    7 years ago

I have a fitted sheet that is not fitted for my queen sized mattress. The problem is the depth. My mattress depth is 10 inches and the fitted sheet is 16 inches depth. How do I shorten it? Thank you in advance

• HU-792335171
    4 years ago

I have a 10 inch mattress a tempurpedic. Any sheet I have tried are too blousy at the side. Lots to tuck in and I wish it would stay put but it doesn't. Any suggestions to correct this annoyance?

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company