Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking recommendations for an all purpose home sewing machine

Posted by homey_bird (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 14:30

Hi,

I am reasonably new to sewing. I am looking to purchase my own sewing machine that I will use from my home. My immediate project is making cushions for my outdoor furniture with Sunbrella fabrics but this machine will stay with me for long and I would ideally like a machine that can handle a variety of sewing projects ranging from sewing with light fabrics like silk and cottons to upholstery.

Is there a single machine currently available in the market that can handle this range? Sadly, I do not think how I can get a used/antique machine therefore I am looking to purchase a new machine. I am assuming that a machine that can work with a variety of needle sizes can handle this range, but please feel free to correct me and your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking recommendations for an all purpose home sewing machin

Any of the old Singer machines with straight stitch and zig-zag will do, provided you use the right needles. They are good for quilting-weight cottons up through heavy denim ... Sunbrella is in that range.

One trick is to pause just before you hit a seam, with the needle down, and put a shim under the presser foot to avoid hitting the bump and stalling.

If you are planning to sew extremely heavy upholstery material - the stuff with the thick backing, puffy chenilles, car upholstery stuff - you need an industrial machine.

I just bought a Singer FashionMate 237 ($15 at a swap meet) and it's having no problems with repairing denims and sewing shirts.

Check at businesses that sell new machines, and repair shops, and Craigslist.

o

Homeybird, I'm not sure if you've already purchased a machine, but I bought a used Bernina 1230 about 20 years ago and it was one of the best purchases of my life. It has never given me a problem of any sort and is a real workhorse. I have since purchased a newer Bernina but will keep the 1230 forever. I don't believe you can go wrong with one of the older, quality brands, and (at least with the Bernina 1230) you can still get various feet for different projects. Just be sure to try them out at a reputable sewing machine dealer where they can answer all of your questions.

o

I have a couple Viking machines and I love them. They come in a wide range of prices and features. You can get a basic machine for a reasonable price or upgrade to a computerized embroidery machine. I do a lot of different things with mine from home dec and quilting to garment sewing and there really isn't much they can't do. Often you can trade in an older machine for an upgrade as your sewing needs and skills change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here