Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

I just had to vent!

I decided to get out some summer slacks this morning since it went from winter to summer here, and I was uncomfortable. Anyway, have two pairs of slacks which are Alfred Dunner. The one from Swaziland was a size 16 and was four inches smaller than the one from Indonisia which was a size 14. This infuriates me because I have to do shopping on line now (can't drive out of town anymore) and just how are you supposed to know what size to order? Is there anyone like me who has to go through this same thing? I know this forum doesn't have much traffic anymore, but this just reiterates why we should be able to make our own clothes. Really irritating.Barb

Comments (3)

• popi_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Barb

Perhaps you could measure your waist etc and have all your measurements handy. Then when you are considering an on-line purchase, ask them about measurements.

It is difficult with sizing when garments are from all over the world.

But, I would certainly love to be able to make all my own clothes.
    In my part of the world it has gone from summer to winter in a flash.

Good luck with your slacks.

• evaf555
    9 years ago

Well, gee, you can make your own clothes.

Having worked in retail, I can offer some possible explanations.

Alfred Dunner has been around forever. It's possible the sizing has been updated to reflect their current customer base. It's popular to roll our eyes at vanity sizing, but sometimes it's not all that nefarious. There is a good reason. "Size 10" has long been thought of as the standard as average or medium. With the population becoming older and stouter, it does make sense for the manufacturer to update sizing from time to time.

The pants may measure differently if they are made of different materials with different amount of give or stretch. That would be the correct thing to do. "I decided to get out some summer slacks this morning " implies you already purchased these slacks some time ago. If they were comfortable when you purchased them they may still be, even if they measure different.

The fabric may have faulty upon purchase and has shrunk over time.

One pair may have had the wrong size tag sewn into them.

One of the benefits of purchases over the internet is that many sites offer the option to provide reviews of the products regarding fit, durability, and sizing. You can use this to your advantage.

I can sew, but I rarely sew everyday clothing. Honestly, the fabric available in retail outlets is so poor in quality that it isn't economically feasible to do so. I can buy a pair of pants from Lands' End [TJMaxx, Hit or mIss] on sale for $25 and wear them twice a week for a couple years before they bite the dust, usually because I spill something on them. Nothing available at Joann's Fabric will hold up like that. [If I'm willing to wade through the Ginormous Wall O' Fleece and all the junk flat folds and the out of style prints]

Yes I could order fabric and make pants, but ordering good quality fabric, retail, isn't cheap. Neither is the shipping. It will cost almost as much or more than buying them and I have to go to the effort of making them. Yes, they will fit. I do alterations, so I can make purchased pants fit, too!

BTW, being able to repair and alter your clothing - that's where the savings come in.

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

I understand the confusion but did you realize there is no standard. Each designer, pattern maker etc decides for themselves what their sizing will be...you have to go by measurements to buy a pattern or a pair of slacks etc.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022