Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charann102_2006

Mary Proctor Flip Ironing Board

charann102_2006
14 years ago

I have two Mary Proctor Flip Ironing Boards and love them! I would like to buy two or three additional ones for family members but am having no luck in finding any.

These ironing boards were made in the 1950s or 1960s. I checked Ebay and they have none for sale. Even going to Google turned up nothing.

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I sew a lot and they are truly my best sewing room product next to my Bernina sewing machine and Rowenta irons!

Thanks so much everyone!

Comments (47)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Sorry,never heard of them,can you show us a picture?? I grew up in the 50's so maybe i'll recognize it.
    Kathi

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

http://www.miracleironing.com/
    try this link they have mary proctor single and double flips listed no picture that I could see

• steveccc
    14 years ago

I have what I think is called a single flip. A rectangular board and one end folds down. A classic 1950's turquiose tubular leg board. Is this what you are looking for? I just bought a new ironing board to fit a remodeled space.

• baallen2_juno_com
    13 years ago

I have a double flip made in 1960 and am looking for a cover. Any Ideas? Let me know - Thanks

• lilbitclark_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have Model 41069 Proctor ironingboard and am looking for a cover and pad. It is 57 inches long.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

I don't have one of those, but I do have a Mary Proctor iron that my mother got as a wedding gift when she was married in the 1950's. I just had the cord replaced with a reproduction of the original cloth-covered cord (made to modern standards on the inside). I just love it. Because it is not a steam iron, it is perfect for pressing damp cotton fabric and getting all the wrinkles out! And no little marks made by the steam vents. I just treasure this iron.

Rosefolly

• bclarson_stny_rr_com
    12 years ago

I need a ironing board cover. Love the ironing board. Have had it for over fifty years.

• empress
    12 years ago

I did a google search and found several likely places. The Sew4Less site says, "We offer a full line of replacement ironing board covers and pads for the Mary Proctor...

Also found at miracleironing.com http://www.miracleironing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_code=mi&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=018

Here is a link that might be useful: Sew4Less

• nanny98
    12 years ago

Wow...My DH was SO exasperated with me a few years ago when my 1950's MP ironing board bit the dust. I had had it welded back together after a move overseas and purchasing 2 or 3 available ironing boards just didn't work. Then Miracle of Miracles happened and QVC had one on their show. Don't remember what its name was, but it has been a great substitute. Not cheap, seems like $100+, and worth every penny. I just checked QVC and it looks the same. It has been a successful replacement. BTW..I always made my own covers, and this one has lasted very well (however I am not ironing USMC uniforms anymore). Nanny

• Judybah_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I had one of the Mary Proctor flip ironing boards in the 60's and just loved it. It was great for ironing shirts/blouses and large items like table cloths. When I could no longer find new covers for it, I got rid of it. Big mistake---should have just made a new cover myself. Would love to have one again. Judy

• Grannateri
    12 years ago

to: Judy Hawks. I just sent you an email saying that I have a Mary Proctor Ironing board. Let me know if you are still looking for one. Thanks, Teri

• organic_shellydawn
    11 years ago

Hi Teri -

If you still have the Mary Proctor Ironing board available I would be interested.

Thanks!
    Shelly

• elodielou
    10 years ago

I found one and it is in great condition. I am willing to sell it at reasonable price of $20.00 plus cost of shipping. I bought a different board for myself. Please respond back to me if you still want the board.

• trb123
    10 years ago

to elodielou:
    If you still have the Mary Proctor double flip ironing board I am interested. Thanks.

• ktwheat
    10 years ago

elodielou

Do you still have the Mary Proctor Ironing board. I would VERY much be interested in purchasing it if you do, depending on how much you are asking for it.

Thank you!!

• Helen631
    9 years ago

I have a Mary Proctor Ironing Board I just saved from my Dad "cleaning up" -- putting out to the road.
    It is likely from the '50's or early '60's. I am not sure if I am going to keep it or what. I have two. It is missing one of the rubber coverings on the end of the cross piece that goes on the floor. Has the other three. If anyone has any interest in this let me know. Would always like to see things re-used!

• rearea1222
    9 years ago

Helen631,
    Do you still have the board? I might be interested. Message me and let me know if still available.

Thanks!
    Rachel
    rachel_aucoin@hotmail.com

• cptmattfox
    8 years ago

I have a Mary Proctor ironing board that I'm ready to part with. It's a double flip in good shape, but I don't have the cover. If anyone's interested let me know. I live in Atlanta.

cptmattfox@yahoo.com

• Teena Less
    8 years ago

do you still have that ironing board?

• cptmattfox
    8 years ago

Yes I do.

• Teena Less
    8 years ago

I am in Indiana. Any chance you are close?

• Beth Whipple
    8 years ago

Ohio - NE

• rof777
    8 years ago

Anyone looking for Mary Proctor Model 60201 double flip ironing board, I have one that we a ready to part with. I am located in Central Illinois. Contact by email at rof777@frontier.com. Yes, it was my mother's board and i already have my own. Thank You.

• Aly Harmon
    8 years ago

I am looking for mary proctor ironing board parts or entire boards! I love these things! Please email alyharmon0320@gmail.com!

• Jocelyn Baylow
    7 years ago

Miracleironing.com have the Mary Proctor Single Flip & Double Flip ironing board covers. However, my 1960 MP Single Flip board is 14" wide & 54" long. MiracleIroning says they are 14" wide & 58" long. For the past 25 years I have made my own covers out of 2 hi quality 3 ply silver silicone covers, which I no longer see in stores. So am ordering a MiracleIroning one & will alter the length if necessary. BTW, if your rubber foot covers have dried up, Home Depot furniture foot covers that look like covers for crutches (white rubber/largest size) fit just right as replacements. Silver Rustoleum spray paint make the legs like new. European made professional ironing boards that are similar sell for over $100 - just sayin' for u folks looking to sell yours!

• marysoilex
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Mary Proctor knew nothing about ironin boards,,,Who cares if it flips?/ I have such a board und it aint flat. Its warped. I want a refund und PROCTOR SILEX says no...Mary Proctor is a witch I say,.Und Rustoleum aint all it cracked up to neither, I got rust stains on mein nylon briefs from a board thats warped. Thenx Mary Proctor!! Go back to sproutin coffee beans.

• marysoilex
    7 years ago

Mary Proctor was never the same after she threw in her lot with that Bruce Silex.

i say he was a letch und never knew his nylons from his rayons.

• Mulvene Alonso
    7 years ago

Eager to know--why do you guys like these boards so much??

• PRO
    Teena Z Vestments, LLC
    7 years ago

If you sew or iron a lot a flip board is great. I had one for years. But, I upgraded my Orin to a steam generator and it pruduced so much moisture, I needed to replace my flip board to one more compatible with my iron. The new board actually has a solid bottom that will collect the moisture. My original flip board did not have this feature and I had water dripping. My new board does not have the flip feature and I miss it! The board bed is larger on the flip and I could easily flip a corner down to press smaller area. I miss my flip! It was given to me by my aunt. The board was probably 50+ years old and was rusting out. If you come across a flip board, sew or just plain iron, invest in a flip board. I guarantee it would be difficult to turn back to a traditional board.

• mariahsmith14
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have Mary proctor that,was a gift when I was married in 1959. It's missing one of the turquoise rubber ends for the feet. Don't know why i still have it but not getting rid of it now. Does anyone know where i can get replacement rubber foot.

• Jocelyn Baylow
    7 years ago

Yes. I replaced all 4 of mine with standard white rubber leg tips. Buy the largest size Home Depot carries, 2 to a package, & they slip onto the metal ends tight but perfectly (I hammered them on the last 1/4"). B'cz I had already spray painted the legs with low gloss silver "metallic Rustoleum", it made the whole ironing board look brand new (1960). If you move your ironing board around a lot, you can cut the height of the white rubber tips down halfway so they don't cover the little wheel in the ironing board feet. I did this using a single edge razor blade on one, & decided it wasn't worth it to me. I'm amazed u only need to replace 1,- all 4 of mine (gray rubber) had gotten very dried out.

• jlawton45
    6 years ago

looking for a mary proctor model #60201 with the cover

jlawton45@aol.com

• jlawton45
    6 years ago

made in 1966 model 60201 with cover jlawton45@aol.com

f

• Jocelyn Baylow
    6 years ago

I just received my cover for my single flip M.P. ironing board & it's perfect. Will send u info this evening when I get home, so look for my name.

• txblbnnt
    6 years ago

I'm looking for a Mary Proctor flip ironing table if anyone has one they are ready to part with please contact me. I had my mother-in-laws and loved it but the leg separated from the table. I've been trying to find someone who solders aluminum but have not found anyone who will do a small job like this. I'm one of these crazy people who enjoys ironing and this board s such a joy to use and I really miss having it. Txblbnnt@yahoo.com

• Jocelyn Baylow
    6 years ago

Any business that repairs patio furniture will weld aluminum. OR, contact your local community college which usually is where instruction & certification is given in welding, air conditioning, automotive, etc.. The instructor at my nearby community college has used my welding projects for class demonstrations, with my paying for materials.

• txblbnnt
    6 years ago

Thank you Jocelyn, I'll contact our community college this afternoon.

• Frances Wright
    6 years ago

I have a Proctor Silex model number 62003 ironing board with cover and extra cover. Anyone who wants to buy it just message me etc.

• Glory Mahaffey
    6 years ago

Hi, I was looking for a cover to my double flip .art proctor ironing board , couldn't find one so I made one from an ironing board table cover. Then I found here. I have a 469 69939 Mary Proctor, anyone else have this?

• Jocelyn Baylow
    6 years ago

As I've answered a couple of times here, MIRACLEIRONING.com has the covers. I have a single flip which makes a perfect rectangle, & placed the new ironing board cover over what I had for extra cushioning. Had extra elasticized bands with suspender clips to place every 6 " on the underside of the cover for a very smooth fit. I chose an all white cover, but a negative is that it is very slippery meaning the fabric being ironed can slip around on the cover.

• HU-115590301
    4 years ago

Our Proctor ironing board just broke from staying up. Would be interested in buying another chiefpf@gmail.com many thanks Patrick& Lois

• Hillary Brock
    3 years ago

I have an extremely rare, vintage proctor silex ironing board in the color gold. Even the metal to prop the board up is fully gold. Besides a small amount of wear, it is in impeccable condition for being such a rare vintage piece. I cannot make out the first one or two numbers of the model number, but after the first two the numbers are as follow: 699 1071. Made in USA. If anyone is interested, contact me via email and I will gladly show you photos. It is a beautiful piece. My email address is as follows, and please put “ironing board” in the subject line so that I know to open it: hlbrockbackup@gmail.com

• Donald Burden
    2 years ago

I have one. 9097819203

• Dino Ferrante
    8 months ago

Do you know where I can get an asymetrical pad and cover for one?

• claudia valentine
    7 months ago

I have never heard of these and cant find a photo of one. What flips on the board?

I had to put my moms old 50s board into the metal recycle as I had nothing to do with it. It sat in the attic for decades.

I bought a board at a yard sale that is nicely and easily adjustable height, has a littel shelf under it and nice place to set the iron. The woman was selling it because she could not find a cover for it. No problem , I have always sewn my own covers.

WHAT is a flip board?

I do have my moms non steam iron from the past. I have thought about trying to use it. I love the weight and the feel of it! It is heavy and compact and just feels like such a nice tool! But, I dont know if it is at all safe even if the cord gets changed.

Otherwise, I have a big box store steam iron. Have you ever tried to iron without the steam? The heat from the iron is pretty lame and the iron has no weight to it.

My mom used to keep a big vinegar bottle with a shaker on it to add moisture. She ironed a lot of my dads military fatigues. Otherwise people used to dampen the clothes and let the moisture wick through before ironing.

I had some friends who were three sisters and their mother used to dampen the clothes and put them in the chest freezer that sat in the middle of the living room . They had to do the ironing when they got home from school. They were responsible for it.

• Victoria Smith
    5 months ago

I think such ironing boards have long been outdated, like any ironing board with a wooden tabletop. I would recommend that you do not give up modern ironing equipment just because you don’t like innovations. Ironing board is not a piece of furniture and must be effective so that you can iron faster.

It's best to consider an ironing board for steam ironing. This model has a metal mesh tabletop. Of the brands I would recommend Silter. They are produced in Turkey and are widely popular in sewing studios and laundries. Ironing boards from this brand are almost 2 times cheaper than the famous Brabantia, but, in my opinion, they are even better.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County