Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

Fabric advise/suggestions needed

sharon_fl
15 years ago

I am in the midst of refurbishing furniture for a 'Princess' themed room for my grandaughter. I purchased the prettiest pale lavender 'mink' chenille and also in baby pink.

I want to make a lightweight twin bedspread with an attached bedskirt. My problem is-what material should I use for the backing? I'd love a silky/satiny type but I know it will never stay on her bed! Too slippery methinks.

Also-should I fill it with batting or not? I want to use the material in big rectangles or squares-along with a co-ordinating print. If I do that-would I use the same print for the bedskirt? What kind of material should these squares be? Clear as mud, right? LOL

Comments (3)

• User
    15 years ago

I used raised dot minkie in my granddaughter's crib qult. My DIL gave me a picture from the Babies R Us catalog to copy. I used polyester batting as she preferred something puffy, rather than flat (as cotton quilts tend to be). It is also backed in green raised dot minkie with satin binding. It is for show only due to the nonflammable aspect. It is also heavy. I mean really HEAVY, nearing the weight of an xray protective apron.
    {{!gwi}}

Okay, you get the idea--the layers of minkie and batting make the quilt heavy. You want something lightweight. I'd suggest you omit the batting and just back with cotton print for stability. The minkie was tough to sew because it stretches.

Here's my clear as mud suggestions. Line the minkie blocks with muslin for stability, alternate with your choice of cotton print (prewash). Add dust ruffle in same cotton pring to edge before you do a birthing method of lining. Tack the layers together or do stitch in the ditch quilting.

Great project. I may be doing the same for my own little princess as she grows up.

Dianne

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Diane, Thanks for the pic and instructions! So nice of you to take the time. I am a 'rookie' sewer but I get by. I do have a question...should I prewash the chenille before making this? Also the baking? I think I'll try to find a real lightweight twin cotton blanket or use fleece or a pretty printed percale sheet. What I meant about blocks-is that I am going to just cut the chenille in the lavender & pink-in equal big squares & sew them together to the size of the spread...then add the dust ruffle to the underside of the 3 edges. I will probably just tack the front & back together at the intersecting corners of the squares. Not spending alot of time on this-she's only 5 yrs old, dog sleeps on her bed too, etc, etc.
    Besides, I have 4 weeks work there making the castle block walls & arched windows-which will hold scenes I'm painting, from the Cinderella story.
    I might attempt making a crown applique for the center of the spread.

• User
    15 years ago

Here's a paper-pieced pattern for a crown. I used it, along with a wand and castle, to make a border on a princess pillowcase for my neice (that remains a work in progress).

I would prewash all the fabric, but do the chenille on a gentle cycle--it sheds like mad.

I'd love to see pictures of the spread and the wall mural you're painting when you're done.

Good luck and have fun,
    Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: crown pattern

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert