Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Buying a Serger

I am looking for a simple, inexpensive Serger ($400 tops). I have a friend who spent $5,500 on hers and I'm not willing to go that route since I'm sort of a beginner at sewing.

Any recommendations? Would you buy one from Walmart or get one from a sewing store? We have a couple around town and I've heard that you take classes on how to use them.

Comments (16)

• budster
    18 years ago

I would definately consider looking into a second hand serger ..... then you can decide exactly how much you want to spend and what features you would like. Some people get daunted by the threading process involved but if you look around you will find one which will fall into your requirements and ABILITY. Don't get one too challenging you can always trade up later. Personally I own a Pfaff 794 which is a basic model. It was bought new in the late 80's and has worked like a charm. If you decide you want a new machine...l. make sure you buy from a store with a good reputation should you have any questions or problems (box stores often don't have personnel familar with the products who can help should it have to be exchanged or if you are having problems running the machine) 2. NO MANUAL NO SALE. 3. Check to make sure all attachments listed in the book are there (this really applies only to second hand) 3. Ask sewing friends about their sergers...what they like/dislike and a ball park figure of what they paid and where they bought them (kinda nosey dectective work - they can also say if the store has been good with any questions or repairs) 4. Look around.....you can take your time and find the right machine for you...you don't have to buy the first one you see. Take the brochures...try the machine...go home and think about it. Just have fun and good luck in your search.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

I agree with Budster.I have a white 534 that i bought over 20 years ago,think i paid around 500 for it at the time.Several times i thought of upgrading,but this does what i need so i havn't gone that route yet.
    Babyloc and Hobbyloc both have ones that aren't too expensive.But again your best bet if you don't know anything about them is to buy from a reputable store.Ask them about used ones as well.All the sewing machine stores around me sell used ones,so i'm sure others do as well.And as Budster said,you can always upgrade later.
    Have fun shopping and good luck to you.
    Kathi

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually looked at too many Sergers just yet, but as soon as I have an idea of what I want, I will post and let you all know.

Thanks again.

• mermie
    18 years ago

I bought a used Bernina 2000 serger and I love it.
    I paid about $450.00.

• dayenu
    18 years ago

what you want is :
    minimum of four threads and two needles.
    differential feed.
    easy thread diagram on machine
    ability to do a rolled hem, easily - you will do this alot and finally a good manual.

Don't underestimate the importance of easy threading, serging works due to the delicate interplay of multiple threads at different tensions and one small error (like a crossed thread) can foul things up, so you will be threading and unthreading constantly at first.

I strongly suggest a used Elna - they are really easy to thread. and you might easily find one under $700. When you get your machine here are tips:
    number one:
    buy four different colored threads and experiment with tension adjustments, having different colors lets you track what each change on a thread does.
    number two:
    never blow into your serger, you will blow moisture in and it can rust. use a brush, vacuum or (OMG) canned air.
    (I have three sergers and sometimes only use sergers to construct a garment.) I love em.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't realise you could construct a garment with a Serger! I always thought they were used to make whatever you're sewing much neater. I'm a bit intimidated by how they work and all the threading since I only just learned how to use my own machine. I definitely need to purchase from somewhere that will have support.

• budster
    18 years ago

Sergers do not give you the ability to do buttonholes or put in zippers....you still have to have a regular sewing machine. A serger compliaments a sewing machine...unless something new is on the market...if so I gotta go shopping!

• dayenu
    18 years ago

Well actually if you are very good with a serger you can ever put in a zipper with it. But I will agree that you can't make a button hole with one (smile).
    Many items in the ready to wear trade are made exclusively with a four/five thread serger and a coverstitch machine.

They are totally different animals from sewing machines and I personally use my sergers far more than my reg machine although i wouldn't give up my brother 6000 , ever.

• donnah
    18 years ago

The White 2000 is a nice basic serger....carried by Allbrands.com

• keepeminstitches
    18 years ago

I would definitely check out local dealers. Lessons that come with the machine are invaluable. Sergers are sorta tricky to learn, and the manuals aren't always the best. I have an older White which works well (except for the differential, and I'm too cheap/lazy to have it fixed). I bought a top-of-the line 5-thread Viking with the chain and cover stitches and had four or five free lessons. The dealer is always available by phone also if I have questions.

The suggestion to practice threading with four different colored cones of thread is a good one. I also recommend the Dar EZ Winder (available from Nancy's Notions) so you can buy just one cone of serger thread in the color that matches your garment and then wind three of the EZ Winder spools from it. Saves $$ and you won't have so many cones of serger thread hanging around.

Mary

• westbrook
    18 years ago

I think of a Serger like a giant sewing machine attachment. A serger compliments a sewing machine and if I could only have one it would be a sewing machine.

I use my serger to completely construct a garment. I have yet to try my hand at a zipper but I will master that before summers end.

If you are new to sewing then you are familiar with the learning curve. The more you sew the easier it gets and the less frustrated you become.. well there is the same learning curve with learning to use a serger. I do advocate finding a place the provides lessons when you purchase a machine. But, whether you get them with your machine or prusue them privately, they are well worth taking. You might also check at your local college and see if they have a clothing and textile class to see if they offer a serging class. Some colleges do and some don't.

Many people purchase a serger, open the box become overwhelmed, put it back in the box and in the back of the closet never to be used.

There are a few places on the net that explains techniques explained such as inserting a zipper or serging napkins. My favorite is using my serger for finishing fleece jackets for my children and grandchildren.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

One of the sewing stores by me has the Elna serger on sale for 499.00 this week.That's a good one for a beginner.
    Kathi

• momfromthenorth
    18 years ago

I am new to this forum but I've been sewing for far longer than I care to admit! Go to a locally owned store to get your serger. They will show you how to thread it, possibly offer lessons on how to use it, etc. If you are going to spend the money on one, even if it is a good basic serger, you want to be able to get your money out of it by using it and not collecting dust bunnies. A local store owner will help you when you have questions, most likely provide repair/cleaning support, and show you little "tricks" that you might not otherwise pick up on your own.

Sergers are intimidating only because they look complicated...but once you learn how to use yours you will realize it's really are not such a scary creature. The store that sold mine to me gave me lessons which I found to be invaluable!!

I waited too long to get one (because I didn't want to spend the money) and kicked myself everytime I used it after I had it--wishing I had purchased one sooner!!! My daughter started sewing with a serger (mine) when she was an early teen because it was "uncomplicated" & easy to use! Now she uses both a regular machine and a serger and she still hasn't left her teen years. You will love having one and soon discover lots of things you can rescue around the house with your serger when you aren't sewing something "new" from scratch. Good luck!

• true4uca
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I just bought a Brother 1034d paid $169.00 it ,does what dayenu suggested to look for.I bought it at a warehouse sale,the same ones are $450 at our Wal-mart.Not knowing much about sergers (an impluse buy)I didn't want too invest much money into one.It came with a CD,now even I can operate it.
    Go for it.
    Trudy

• carol_in_california
    18 years ago

If you have a community college nearby, call the serger/sewing instructor and ask if she has any students who are upgrading and want to sell....at any rate, she/he can give you some good info on what to look for in a serger.

• valsvintagefinds
    18 years ago

Hi, after lots of research, I bought a Janome My Lock 634D. It is great. In fact, I am about to buy another one for my daughter-in-law. I called dealers, and researched online...it seemed to be the best value for my money. It is a nice, affordable, and easy to use machine. Start on Ebay. I bought mine there from a store in Florida with free shipping. It is about $349.00. Good luck.

Val