Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surfrider17

My First Sewing Machine

surfrider17
15 years ago

hey people. im 20 and just got my sewing machine around last month. i was able to sew a small bag for myself, but after a while something went wrong with the thread. whenever i sew, the thread below the fabric keep having extra threads which looks super messy. i tried to tighten or loosen the bobbin case and even turn up/down the tension dial. my friend mother told me to rewind the lowerthread again. and i did, but still it turns the same, just not so messy.

can anyone help me? i dont have any sewing lessons, i just need to figure out how to solve the lower thread problem. its really getting frustrating, but im not giving up on it, because i want to sew lots of bags to sell.

Comments (2)

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

First off Congratulations on the machine.

Now get yourself a nice cool drink,sit down with the manual and read it cover to cover,when you're done,read it again,and hi-light anything that you think may be a problem,or you're just not sure of.

Using the manual as your guide,thread the machine,wind a new bobbin,get some scraps and fool around with all the stitches in the book.In other words make yourself a sample of everything the machine does.

"DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH THE BOBBIN CASE" Those are set at the factory and unless you are doing specialty sewing,there's no need to change it.

Be patient,it took you 20 years to get it,don't expect to know everything about it in an hour!! LOL

Just practice,practice,practice.You can do this!! I taught my grandson to sew when he was 5 and he can sew with the best of us now.

What kind of machine did you get,and did you get it from a sewing machine store,or wal mart.If from a sewing machine store,then free lessons usually come with it.Wal mart----------you're on your own.But all is not lost.You can check with your local fabric store and see if anyone is offering lessons.also check with the community college,and last but not least,you can go to your local library and check out books on learning to sew.Singer has a great series of them and most libraries carry them.

Good luck to ya,come back and let us know how you're doing.

Also note that this board doesn't move very fast,so don't get discouraged.
    Kathi

• budster
    15 years ago

Do just what Kathi says. If you tell us the make and model perhaps one of us can help you more. In the meantime, get a cleaning brush and brush out that bobbin case area....look to see if any thread is caught anywhere and GENTLY try to remove it is some is stuck. Try a new needle...sometimes the simplest things can be the solution. do you have good quality thread - on the bobbin and on the spool you are using? Your manual might have a trouble shooting page....check that out. Start from page one and re-thread from the beginning.....check your dials..and keep trying to turn them up or down and see what differences they make to your samples. Don't get discouraged....it takes time to learn a new machine even for the best sewer. Get back to us and let us know if anything helped. Budster

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm