Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sudimari

simple question...i think

sudimari
13 years ago

I'm finally sewing a pair of flannel pj's that I cut out about 12 months ago. Simple enough pattern. I was worried that they wouldn't fit since my body measurements have changed multiple times since then but....

Regardless, I just did the inseam in triple strength stitch (that's machine 2 forward 1 back repeating). I'll probably just use a basic straight for side seams on legs (in case the fit isn't as loose as it appeared with approximate seams pinned in). My question is with a what do I do with the seam allowance? I'm quickly learning that a lot of fabrics fray and that the standard double stitching on some seams just does not prevent the fraying from causing things to start laying uneven or sometimes even protect your seam line.

With flannel can I simple trim the allowance down and press open or down in whatever direction the pattern recommends? or should I be looking at doing some zigzag or overstitch to protect my work? This isn't your basic quilter's flannel...it's the fluffy/fuzzy kind. I often catch myself thinking it's a fleece. I think its called a so softly or a blizzard flannel or something.

So basically...will it fray or shred or anything? And if it will what is the best approach to protect the seam?

Thanks all!

Comments (5)