Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loganhogan

Using remnant fabrics for the 'pillowcase' dresses

loganhogan
18 years ago

I already had this fabric with bees "yellowjackets" here in Oxford, Al home of the Oxford Yellowjackets (the movie Friday Night Lights could have been about this place). My little cousin moved last year into a different school district and 3 other cousins live in Oxford so I figured I'd make the dress for one of them. But OH NO, she spied that remnant and the fun fur flip flops with bees to match. She asked me "are you selling these flip flops", I tell her "yes", "would you actually take my money?" (she's 6 years old) "not if you'll take care of me when I get old". At present she's thinking about the old part to decide if that's a bad deal or not! LOL.

I used a remnant of gingham for the top too. The biggest expense was the ball fringe and biaz tape. I swear I heard my grandma turn in her grave. I've been using her's,(bias tape) that she paid 5 cents for.

I figure with the flip flops and dress I made her a "boutique" outfit for less than $10 that would have been $75 are so from what I've seen online.

I'll get a pic of her in the outfit and post soon.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)

• budster
    18 years ago

Oh too cute! I love the colors.

• eunice
    18 years ago

I love these dresses and would like to make some for my grandaughters. How do you make them, is it a purchased pattern? (Sorry if this question has been asked before and I missed the how-to.)

I like the combination of fabrics. The remnant bin is the first place I look!

Eunice

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Eunice, and anyone else are welcome to send me your snail mail addy and I'll mail you what I'm using for a pattern. Basically it's just sewing a back seam, cutting arm holes, making two casings, and a hem. I sent Budster a piece where I've cut the arm holes. Mother used an A-Line Jumper for the arm hole placement.
    Susan in Bama

• Bettejanh
    18 years ago

I would like the pattern too please my new email is Bettejan@yahoo.com. Thanks Betty

• joansews4u
    18 years ago

****PATTERN****

Take a rectangle of paper & cut it 2 3/4" wide by 4 1/4" long. The last 2 1/4" in the length is curved on the right side down & around the bottom. This was a size 6-8. Once you do this you can shift up & down for other sizes. Might want to try a newspaper pattern of the upper bodice before cutting fabric.

Use length of fabric of your choice, depending on if you prefer longer dresses, knee length or a top for shorts or capris. Sew at the selvages & make a tube. Fold the tube for the seam to be center back. Take for pattern for the armhole & place it on the fold of the side & at the top edge on each side. Cut the armhole & face with bias tape or bias strips.

Finish top edge & turn down 1" for the casing. Use length of ribbon or ties from fabric about 27-30" for front & back for a size 6. Go up & down for other sizes. Some we saw used one long piece that crossed one shoulder & tied on one side. I also tacked the ribbon/tie in the center to keep it from coming out.

If you use Vintage pillowcases or Walmarts battenburg lace trimmed pillowcases, you would just undo the top edge & go from there like the fabric tube. I am going to attempt to reproduce vintage style pillowcases with embroidery & maybe scallop the hem area.

I have some designs that sew off the edge like the antebellum dresses with crochet edges I had on pillowcases
    as a child. My sister crochets & since most of what we do are for her grands, I will pass that chore to her.

She says she wore these dresses in the summer as a child but called them sack dresses...probably because they were made from feed sacks as much as the general shape.

• darenda
    18 years ago

thank you so so very much, your a god send. and guess what i think i start one today. wishing you a blessed day...

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    18 years ago

The photo link has expired. Please someone send me a link to a photo? I cant picture it. Thanks.

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's another one done out of remnants.
    Susan

• wanda5156
    17 years ago

I like your little dresses. I make them too but I think the pattern I use is different. I had never thought of making the dress several colors and making pants to match.I rarely use the actual pillowcases because I havent found any pretty enough but use new fabric. My latest one is made with pink checked fabric and I put an applique on the front made from a cutout from My Little Pony fabric.

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, Happy Birthday Wanda! Using more than one fabric is a great way to use up your "stash". I started adding pants because all of the little girls I know need pants to keep from showing their underwear. If you'll email me I'll send you a copy of the armhole pattern that Mother (joansews) and I developed last year.
    Susan

• branditx81
    15 years ago

Hi! I was wondering if I could get this pattern by chance. Im trying to make a dress but hate doing it out of actual pillow cases. I love how you did the pants to match..are those hard for rookies???lol..any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You'll need to use the feature on this site that allows you to send me an email. Click my name and you'll see it.
    Susan

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

I sent you my e-mail and hope you will send me the pattern also..
    Huggybear