Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dody40_gw

sewing a bag out of potholders

dody40
13 years ago

A lady at my Mom's Assited Living Residence gave my Mom a bunch of handstiched pot holders. Mom gave them to me. I had no use for them, so I lined them up 3 X 3 and sewed them together.

It looks a little rough, but that is the beauty of it. For the back piece, I took several layers of lightweight sew-in interfacing (all that I had) and slipped into some pretty material. I did a light quilting technique to hold it together.

Here is a picture of the potholders sewn together. As you can see, I still have square of the edges. The fabric laying in under is for the back side that I have prepared.

Here is a close-up of an indivual block. I think it is so sweet.

I have never done a project like this before, but it is turning out pretty. I still have to make the straps and lining.

Any hints on doing the straps as I have an idea on how to sew them in, but I am not sure if it is correct.

I think I make the straps, pin it to the purse and then do the lining. But the pot holder side is too heavy, I am not quite sure how to do this.

Any hints for me would be most appreciated. I hope to get to this today and have it ready for Mom on Mother's Day. I think she would use it as a knitting bag. Oh, also, I want to make pockets, both on the inside and the outside. I would have to do this on the back side, as the pot holder side is so heavy, I don't think I could sew another layer.

Thanks in advance.

dody

Comments (7)