Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
druidclark

Question on Box Cushions

DruidClark
13 years ago

I am making outdoor cushions and bought a pattern, which I'm now not following, and am wondering if I'm making a mistake.

The pattern calls for making a long strip for the side and sewing that into a circle and then sewing the circle to the front and back pieces. I can't decipher what they mean by that.... It shows a picture of the "finished" piece w/ the seam at the back of pillow.

What I did for my muslin under cover (whatever it's called) was to cut out the strips and sew them to each side and then sew it together. This seemed to work well.

Any thoughts on whether one method works better than another? I'm going to get to the cover tonight or tomorrow, and I'm hoping not to do anything that won't work or last as long.

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

Comments (3)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

When I made a couple (5 more to go!) I used 1 strip to wrap around the front and almost all of the 2 sides, then cut a wider one to go across the back and wrap around the sides a little to make it easier to get the foam in and out, then cut that wider strip in half lengthwise to put in Velcro. First one I put in Velcro first, 2nd one put it in after all the pieces were sewn together. First was easier. Of course, if you're using a zipper you have to put that in before sewing that strip/strips in the back of the seat panel.

You method works too, if you don't mind seam in the corners. Since you're doing an inner cover, I'm assuming the outer cover will have some kind of closure? Then just cut your back piece (with closure) slightly long and your sides short, the seams won't be in the back corners but it's easier to get the cushion in/out if the closure wraps around the sides.

First (no welt)

Closure (sides folded in to cover the end of the Velcro back piece)

Second (self-welt - got a little wonky on the right side)

As you can tell, I'm a novice. I used this tutorial but did Velcro instead of zipper, just cut the back strips wide enough to fold over and attach the Velcro to each one *and* make sure they overlapped.

Here is a link that might be useful: box cushion tute

• DruidClark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AJ's Mama thank you! It took me three hours to sew on snaps onto my inner cover last night, but I'm happy w/ the results. The tutorial you linked to is exactly what I needed. I am attempting pillows w/ already formed seats from Joann's, hoping that it will be a bit easier for this newbie. Stakes are high here, mother and grandmother were both PERFECT sewers, I can never hope to reach their levels, but if you don't start somewhere, you'll never get anywhere. Besides, I just bought a ton of fabric and I MUST use it before it goes out of style, disintegrates, etc.

How did you figure your pattern for your wicker chairs? Love what you're doing and thank you for sharing, despite some small wonkiness. I like the welted ones better, but wondering how difficult it is to do the welting. Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Nu-Foam cushions, Bought at Joann's, but looks like it's in lots of places.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I didn't see the cushions in the link, only the foam? I laid a piece of fabric on top of my wicker chair, good side down, and traced on the wrong side with pen, then cut on outside of pen line giving myself a good 1/2" seam allowance. I bought a lot of construction paper to make templates for all the seats, but I was too lazy/rushed to use it. Cut another piece using first as template. Then measured the thickness of my foam and added 1" for seam allowances for the piece to wrap around the front and sides. Cut another piece for the back 4" wider to allow for Velcro but probably could have done 3" wider since I ended up cutting a lot off. Here's the tute to figure Velcro but I'm not sure she figured right b/c the seam allowances came out too much for me.

The welting was a real pain - I made the gusset strips wider to cover 3/16" clothesline but it was hard to turn corners. Lots of people here told me to just use separate cording (or cover the clothesline with bias strips) and sew them onto the seat panels before putting the sides on. Next one will be an experiment with cutting the top seat panel bigger all around and trying the self-welt on that, and either doing the same with bottom or put the welt on the bottom of the gusset but welt at the top and bottom of gusset was too hard to sew to the seat panels.

If you search on box cushion on this forum, or even just my name, you'll see my posts explaining what I did and all the advice I got. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Velcro cushion cover

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES