Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dody40_gw

Should I use Fusible Interfacing?

dody40
13 years ago

I have the pieces all cut out from this pattern to make the cowl collar. The collar is cut on the bias. The pattern calls for it to have interfacing fused to it. I am wondering if it would take away the properties of it being cut on the bias to have the interfacing fused to it. What do you think? I am confused and do not want to go any further until I see what I should do. Can anyone give me advice?

TIA, Dody

Comments (7)

• shadylady2u
    13 years ago

It's too late to add the interfacing if you've already cut. Interfacing should be fused before the cut or it will get all pulled and stretched at this point. It was probably talking about using a lightweight interfacing just to add body and prevent stretching after it's sewed.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I dont' like fuseable interfacing. 2 reasons: It's not as soft and pliable as a piece of thin fabric. It can keep the object it's attached to from bending in a natural manner....or hanging/flowing.

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gals, I have some thin sew-in interfacing. Maybe I will use that. I have been outside weedwacking while I was waiting for your answer. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly to save me from the Black Flies. They are terrible so far this year. I guess I better get out the bug spray before I do any more yard work.

dody

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Well, since the pattern calls for fusible, and if you've used a fabric they recommend, then I think I'd fuse it!

• ndstitch
    13 years ago

My 2¢. I don't care for fusible either. Not only does it make the fabric too stiff, I don't think embroidery stitches well on it either. I'd much prefer cutaway simply added to the back. When sewing, I usually have embroidery where you'd have interfacing, collars, etc. So I don't use it when sewing either. I also stiffen totes with heavy interfacing - don't care for fusible in that case either.

BTW, if you have tested the fabric and it does not pucker when fused, you can still fuse your cut piece to it by laying the fusible down on the ironing board, sticky side up. Place your fabric piece on it, wrong side down. The put scraps of fabric all around the edge so iron won't stick to it. Press lightly to "stick" your fabric to it, and then flip and press for the permanent fuse. Cut later. It worked for me, anyway.
    Donna

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't sewn the collar yet, but I did fuse the lightweight interfacing to the collar.

Whenever I used fusible interfacing, I always cut out the seam allowances, so I did not have a problem. My directions call for me to use a damp pressing cloth, which is what I did.

I hope to get to it today. I have been so busy with outside projects, today it is raining. Yah!

dody

• dody40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I folded the collar and tried to drape it in my hand, it would not drape, even tho it was light weight interfacing. Luckily, I had bought extra material, and had enough to cut another collar. It worked out perfectly.

I do have a short neck and when I make this pattern again, which I will, I will cut down the depth of the collar.

Thank you all for your advice.

dody

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida