Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Mock smocking by machine

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I've seen 2 ways of using elastic thread to "smock" a little girl's dress. Put the elastic in the bobbin and straight-stitch over it, or lay the elastic on top of the material and zig-zag over it. Which is easier? I'm a little scared of putting elastic in my bobbin, but then again keeping thin elastic straight as I zig-zag over it seems like it would be a challenge. I've got some lightweight gingham with embroidered dragonflies on it that would make a really cute sundress for DD if I could figure out how to shir the top with elastic. Thanks

Comments (6)

• ndstitch
    13 years ago

Not by machine, but did you know they have a great smocking thing now to help do it by hand, taking the tedious measuring out of it? It is a grid of sticky squares and you cut it to the size of the material and stick it to your fabric. The dots are marked so all you have to do is sew it.

I don't mind sitting and doing it in front of the tube in the evening at all. I saw it on YouTube, I'd think you could find it by going to You tube and searching in "smocking" (You might find the answer to your original question there too.)

You tear the little squares off, one by one as you get to them. Isn't the smocking going to distort the dragonfly? I machine embroider, and I'm trying to think of a way to duplicate hand embroidery on smocking. I have not tried to embroider it first, but when I try on the finished smocking, it flattens it too much, imo.
    Donna

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still working on pants from old T-shirts, so haven't tried it. Yes, will scrunch up the dragonflies on the top but since I haven't found a coordinating piece for the top I figured I'd just use the whole piece for the dress - 1 seam plus hems and it's done! Kind of like the fabric Wlamart sells for $10/yd (I found 2 remnants big enough for DD last summer, but now that's too short since the shirring is near one edge and it's not wide - much less than 44").

Actually, I washed and ironed a bunch of fabric last night, may try this on a piece that has paper dolls along one edge (hem) and very small print on the rest of the fabric. I thought maybe sew rows of zig-zags at the top and then take a crewel needle and thread the elastic under? Might have to be on the outside since DD is so sensitive about seams and such.

• msmarion
    13 years ago

Google mock smocking there a lots of instructions on the net.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks - actually I did, that's where I found the 2 different techniques mentioned above, I just was wondering if there was another way or which of the 2 was easier for a beginner.

It's been cold and rainy here, other projects going on, so I haven't made any sundresses.

• evaf555
    13 years ago

Winding the elastic thread on the bobbin always worked for me. There is one more thing - you'll need to leave a little extra on the ends from one row to the next. You may not cut the elastic between the rows, it will come undone. You're not doing this for a garment to be handed down or anything, are you? The elastic will relax and lose it's recovery properties in a year or so.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks - I thought you were supposed to cut the end of each row and knot it.