Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

X-post; can you help me design curtains with limited fabric?

caroline94535
13 years ago

Hi Ladies,

I posted this on Home Decorating, but I thought I'd cast my net here, too. Could you share ideas on how make curtains from a limited amount of fabric?

I'm sorry this runs a bit long.

- - - - -

The draperies for the two bedroom windows are on hold. I simply can't find the "right" ones, nor the "right" fabric. I don't want to "settle" for something I'm not going to be happy with.

Digging through my fabric stash I found two lovely, coordinating fabrics I bought at Hancock's. They've since closed, so this is all the fabric I have to work with.

I have enough of these two fabrics to make four 30" wide panels of each fabric, eight panels total. The curtains would hang just below sill-length with generous hems and headings.

I had first thought to make wide panels consisting of:

30" wide floral, sewn to 30" wide striped, followed by 30" wide striped, sewn to 30" wide floral. Or the floral-striped sequence could be reversed.

These flat panels would be either shirred on a plain rod, or hung from a decorative pole with rings and clips.

Or...

I could use the striped fabric to make doweled Roman blinds. I could then hang a 30" wide floral panel on each side of the windows.

There would probably be enough fabric to make a valance, too, but I'm not too keen on valances.

The photos are poor quality but the yellow is a bright, true yellow and it looks good in my "Safari" painted bedroom.

Here are the fabrics...

I appreciate any ideas you can share.

Comments (11)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

How big are the windows (inside and outside), and how wide is the fabric? How many yards do you have of each?

I like the idea of the striped romans (to replace white blinds you have now) and floral panels but don't know if you have enough of the floral to make 4 panels that wouldn't look skimpy. Two 30" wide panels on (example) 42" wide window (incl trim) might be a little on the skimpy side.

• pris
    13 years ago

The panels on each side of the roman shade need not be overly full as there's no need to shut the drapes. The shade can be dropped for privacy. You just need enough for the panels to not look skimpy hung on each side. Does a 30" panel on each side provide enough fullness not to look skimpy? I really like that idea over alternating panels and if you have a pretty rod there's no need for a valance. I really like your fabric choices.

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I want to thank you for the responses and wonderful ideas. Please keep them coming! I'm going to weigh each idea against the amount of fabric I have.

I have two windows to dres; these curtains are going to be temporary "summer" curtains. The north window is 38x52 from the outer edges of all the trim. The west window is 53x54; my bed is directly under this window.

Both of you mentioned "skimpy" in regard to the panel widths. I'm worried about that, too.

I have only 4+5/8 yards, 58" wide, of the floral print, and 4 yards, 58" wide, of the stripe.

I don't plan to open or close the panels. In order to cut four panels from the length of floral print, they can only be 30" wide, and more like 28" since the fabric is only 58" wide and I'll need side seams, too.

The blind/shade on the north window will probably never be fully closed. The blind/shade on the west window will never be opened.

I originally bought the fabric (about 5 years ago) for a powder r00m project at our last house. I never got them made, obviously, and now the store is closed and I can't get any more of these fabrics.

How far below the window trim should the curtain hang to be proper for "apron" length? I want it to look correct, even if they have to be short.

- - - - -

I'm at my wits end with these windows. I want (and will eventually make) full-length, black-out, thermal lined, pinch-pleated drapes in a textured sage fabric. The ones I've found for sale aren't worth the price; the sewing quality is awful, and I don't want to pay a custom-made price when I can sew very well myself.

Until I get to the cities (Minneapolis area) to visit some "real" fabric stores so I can make my dream drapes, I'm willing to settle for trying to "cut my coat to fit my cloth" with this fabric I already have.

• Marg411
    13 years ago

First, I love this fabric, and would love it in my spare bedroom. I do have one concern since you have only four yards of each. The concern is, how much of the floral are you going to lose when you match the design across, and up and down? That's a big repeat, and sometimes one loses fabric matching a big repeat. The stripe, not being a one way stripe will be easier to match side to side.

You can get away with just making the curtains fall at the bottom of the trim and they will look fine, but I might make the lengths match, thus the shorter window would have the same length of curtain as the longer window.

Your trim is pretty so you could make curtains to shirr on a tension rod and just make them fit inside the window frames also. It wouldn't matter then that they were different lengths if the trim was showing.

• Marg411
    13 years ago

First, I love this fabric, and would love it in my spare bedroom. I do have one concern since you have only four yards of each. The concern is, how much of the floral are you going to lose when you match the design across, and up and down? That's a big repeat, and sometimes one loses fabric matching a big repeat. The stripe, not being a one way stripe will be easier to match side to side.

You can get away with just making the curtains fall at the bottom of the trim and they will look fine, but I might make the lengths match, thus the shorter window would have the same length of curtain as the longer window.

Your trim is pretty so you could make curtains to shirr on a tension rod and just make them fit inside the window frames also. It wouldn't matter then that they were different lengths if the trim was showing.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Just a rough estimate, since windows are about the same height, 4 panels of floral out of 4 5/8 yards (166.5") would mean only 41.625" long panels - not gonna work. If the 52/54" measurements included the apron (trim against the wall under the sill/stool) then that's the minimum you need - if that's to sill, then you need another 3" or so (width of apron) to cover.

So you're going to have to piece the fabric, hang the rod directly above/on the top trim, and/or use rings to gain length. Or forget the panels and just use romans.

With your nice woodwork, I'd just do inside-mount romans in the fabric of your choice. What does your bedding look like? I'd go with whatever looks best with the bedding on both windows, since one window is directly behind the bed. You have enough width with 58" wide fabric and 53" wide window, and definitely enough length, depending on what kind of roman you make. The flat style with the dowels takes the least amount of fabric, the hobbled or waterfall kind takes more but you even have enough for that with extra left over for throw pillows and chair pad (if that chair is staying in the room and that's a pad, not just another piece of fabric folded on it).

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ladies. You're getting my grey cells fired up!

Marg411 I laid the two pieces of floral fabric on the bed and folded the tops so the pattern repeat matched. Because one piece is 18" longer than the other, I still have 2 yard lengths (plus about 4 inches) of fabric to use as panels with the motifs/repeats lined up properly.

By splitting the 58" wide fabric down the center, long ways, the main floral motifs are centered, exactly, in the more narrow width. You can see it (almost) in the middle photo above.

AJ'sMama Yes; the only way I can get the lengths I need to make four panels is to split the fabric down the center. And then I have skinny panels.

By splitting each of the two, 2+ yard lengths down the center. I'd have the length needed for the four panels, but they would finish out only 27 +/- inches wide.

The heavy floral fabric is pretty. It would be a shame to make panels that were skimpy and "not quite right" and lose the beauty of the fabric.

The chair is a temporary "place holder" and gives me somewhere to sit while I tie up my shoes. I soon as I find "It," I'll put a small, Victorian/Edwardian-era slipper chair, or a tiny version of an arm chair, in this corner. Of course, I have to "find" it first, and then get it properly upholstered,etc. So, for now, the spare dining chair with the turkey-red pad (which belongs with my writing desk, LOL) is sitting in the bedroom.

I dislike the idea of hiding all the trim we worked so hard to install around the new windows. Still, I want drapes and I need the warmth they'll help hold in the room during the ND winters.

- - - - -

I'm beginning to realize this fabric, which really wasn't my "first choice" for the bedroom, might not work here.

If I do use it, I may have to settle for the flat/slatted Roman Shades made from the floral print.

I'm not really a fan or Roman Shades; they were just an "it might work" thought to use the fabric at hand.

I do have a lovely, slightly off-white sheer fabric that is sprinkled with small sage-green embroidered butterflies. I have plenty of it to make very full, gathered sheers. I could hang them to soften the bare windows now, and then concentrate on finding the right material to make the awesome, full, lush, solid-but-textured green draperies I really want.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I thought these were "temporary" summer WTs, so you don't have to worry about insulation value. Though if you did inside-mount romans with an insulated lining you might be able to leave them in all year. Did you caulk/foam when you put up the new trim?

Still don't know what your bedding looks like, but why try to squeeze something out of fabric that isn't your first choice, romans wouldn't take that much time to make but anything else, if you're going to put the work into making them (and buy fabric to line them), you might as well buy (enough of) the fabric you really want and just make the "final" WTs.

Sounds like you might have a buyer or two for the floral if you want to sell it LOL!

• caroline94535
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yes; the floral panels or Roman shade will be temporary, or just for summer use. I could do a floral Roman shade and add solid drapes, in the proper width, to coordinate with a bedspread, couldn't I?

It's the "imaginary" green, floor-length, pleated, full, drapes that will be lined, interlined, weighted, and fussed over.

Yes, we've caulked and foamed and insulated and did everything short of casting spells on the new Marvin windows. They're light-years ahead of the old, single-paned (pained?) warped-wood things that were there originally from 1952.

As for my bedding...there's a reason I haven't posted photos, LOL. We've been doing so many other projects (ripping out 1970 shag carpeting, refinishing hardwood floors, tearing out the bathroom and redoing it from the studs outward, plumbing, painting, and planning the new kitchen) that the bedroom has suffered.

I don't think that's right, and I've set my mind to make the bedroom look at least pulled together and "charming" before summer gets here.

It has a new Pergo floor; it didn't have hardwood to refinish. The 1970s paneling was removed; the walls have been repaired and painted. The crown molding and trim is installed and the closet is ready for its shelving system.

Once I have the dark sage drapes on the sage walls, I plan on making a couple of quilts/bedspreads that will be various shades of green, ivory, beige, and with touches of either red or purple.

I have a dark green plain bedspread, and a beige one, to use with the "temporary" curtains. I can pull out any one of their colors, probably a beige or green, and use a solid bedspread in that color.

I'll also be adding a large area rug that will fit under the bed and extend out about 30-36 inches on each side and at the foot. It can be any color that works with the sages/naturals look.

For today? I have sage colored flannel sheets on the bed (it's still cold here) with a 1980s mauve pink and dusty blue quilt that my dear SIL gave me. It's topped with a king-size sheet covered with yellow roses.

Aren't you glad I didn't post a photo? LOL

My Harry/hairy dog naps on the bed. I keep the queen-size bed covered with various flat king-size sheets and change them often. It keeps his hair off the bedding. He's an 80-lb. hunting dog who thinks he's a tiny lap-dog puppy. He's my heart and "no" is a word he does not hear. (Unless his health or safety is concerned.)

• Marg411
    13 years ago

Well, I thought it looked like the repeat would match, but was worried about length. I always have to remember repeats when I'm buying fabric, and I've sewn forever. I hear you on old windows, though our new ones are mainly to keep the AC in since we live in Texas, southernish part, so we seldom have to worry about cold.

You could certainly do floral Roman shades, or even a combo of the two fabrics. I agree about losing the beauty of the fabric, and it's so pretty. Is there a manufacturer's name on one of the selvage edges of the fabric?

You know, in one bedroom, I bought 8 single flat sheets, sewed them together, two by two, stitched a heading in the top hems, and hung them from floor to ceiling, swagging them back on one side only. They're pretty good for quickie drapes I didn't want to bother with, and I wanted to see, cheaply how that look would look. My windows are 39" wide, plus trim, and only 54" long, so I have odd sized windows--that's the original size of the windows. What I do like is that they're short enough that furniture can be placed under them and it doesn't stick up in the window.

Your idea of green drapes sounds wonderful, I love green, and I really love heavy drapes, ala Scarlett, and she had green velvet drapes. Does that show my age?

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Are you sure you want the yellow if you're planning on sage drapes and sage/ivory/beige bedding? Also sounds like you don't need drapes for insulation since you've got nice new windows and sealed up drafts around them.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia