Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medusa_gw

'National' sewing machine?

medusa
17 years ago

hello everyone,

I recently got some sewing things from my Grandmother and in them was a suitcase with a large black metal sewing machine in it with the name "National" across the body in gold lettering. There's no book, but the machine itself is in excellent condition. The only information I can find online about it is a vintage newspaper ad from the 1950's that has a picture of the machine in it.

Has anyone heard of this brand? Were they industrial machines? Is it something I can use or should I put it away as a keepsake because it may be worth something? I do a lot of heavy sewing, multiple layers of thick fabric and I'd hate to ruin it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comments (33)

• colleenny
    17 years ago

Here is some information of the National Sewing machine company

Here is a link that might be useful: National Sewing Machine

• billyb49004
    15 years ago

wondering if you had any luck finding out any more about your sewing machine.
    I also recently came across a national sewing machine. I have found out it is a revesew model but have had no luck finding any other info on the web.

Bill

• barker_tx
    15 years ago

go visit damascusannie on the quilting forum - she is a wealth of knowledge about National Sewing machines.

CM

• barb
    13 years ago

Annie, I just received a national sewing machine and am looking for info on it. The plate says model 2500 NO.12496. I currently have a Huskystar model 215 and wonder how they compare and a value of the national. It is in mint condition and also has Stretch series on the side. Thanks, Barb

• tessiewr_aol_com
    12 years ago

Hi Bill...just found a National Eldridge Reversew in my basement, and was wondering if you ever found out what the value of one of thesse might be...ballpark of course? Thanks

• laterry_socket_net
    12 years ago

I have a NATIONAL sewing machine, Model #VX560 with the attachments that came with it. Can anybody tell me what it is worth?

Also, I've been offered an older Kenmore sewing machine and cabinet it's attached to. It was used by my husband's mother for YEARS. I don't have a model number, but any approximate value?

Which is the better machine and which should I sell? Any help would be very much appreciated!

• shadylady2u
    12 years ago

Neither machine is really worth anything. Perhaps you can get $50 for the Kenmore, if it's in good shape.
    The National, no more than $10.

• valwest_theriver_com
    12 years ago

I recently acquired a Blue Grass (Belknap) sewing machine in an oak cabinet. Needs new plug and belt. Model A Serial # BB 996784A. Does anyone have information about it? Thx

• butch_and_dot_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a national machine and I am looking for some parts. The door to the bobbin case has broken and I'd like some additional feet. There is no model number only a serial number SZ91094342.

• fallenangel61372_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just bought a national ( majestic x ) sewing machine it needs the main powercord i have the foot pedal and cord but need the lead can u help me find a place to buy one?

• kmoore
    12 years ago

I think I have a National Sewing Machine Co., Model Vindex B, from late 1800-early 1900. Beyond that I have been unable to get any further information. It has Progress on it and the only # I can find on the machine is 2071303. I was hoping that someone out there might have an idea of where I might go from here to further research this. Any info or direction would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You. Kim

• jgoldb551
    12 years ago

I recently came into possession of a "necchi-national Stretch Series 2000 sewing machine. I know it was manufactured in Japan, but cannot find out anything else about it. I am really interested in finding a user manual for it. I believe a lot of the units manufactureded in Japan were sold under numerous names. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• kunichris
    10 years ago

Damascusannie,
    Are there any parts or manuals available for the National super 100 sewing machine

• VRogers
    10 years ago

I have been given a Seamstress A electric sewing machine and the motor has National sewing machine co - Model A. It is very dirty and I'm trying to clean it up. I cannot find any information regarding this particular machine. It has a spring on the motor rather than a belt. There is a number of 3348203 under the bobbin cover/plate. It has a shuttle rather than a bobbin. Can anyone provide me any assistance? I have visited Needlebar.org but didn't find my particular machine. I have attached a picture but the bobbin winder, motor, etc. already removed.

• pattinga
    9 years ago

Does anyone know what National sewing machine models were used for the treadle machines? I am getting a National, probably a 1929 model in an oak cabinet but there is no badge etc on it. I have no idea where to start to find out information on it. Thanks in advance!

• Donna Starnes
    8 years ago

hello, i just purchased a national sewing machine in cabinet.. they forgot to bring book and are suppose to mail it.. but my question is can anyone tell me anything about it? Damascusannie?

its a model 400 B

• mgconnell
    8 years ago

I have this machine looks the same but mine has a little plate with a 200 on it? cant find any info about machine ! were you successful? If you ever got the manual from the seller. would be interesting in getting a copy.Thanks

• keithngale
    7 years ago

Damascusannie or anyone who can help me. I have an national machine that I have been using for 45 years. It has been a good one but I lost a screw in the bobbin door. How can I get a replacement? Please help me.

• shadylady2u
    7 years ago

If you're talking about the metal plate under the foot, I just use a piece of masking tape to hold it down. I use masking tape because it comes off easy, if I need to remove it.

• Bicimotos Mar
    7 years ago

Esta en venta...

For sale

From Argentina DF

How much can sold this machine?

Thank you for your comentary

• Penny Yoder
    7 years ago

Hello I just inherited a National Sewing Machine. It says Model 100 Serial # 08373. I'm just trying to find more info on it Year ect. I got it from my Grandmother but she had a stroke 3yrs ago so she cant tell me anything about it. I have the book on it but the book doesn't tell me anything either.

• ladysand32
    7 years ago

I just obtained a National Rotary treadle machine. It has very smooth action but someone lost the bobbin case. I have tried 2 sources of vintage parts without luck. Is there any source out there for National parts? Thanks!

• valledecalle
    7 years ago

Hi all, hoping someone here can help me find a Double Spool National Treadle machine.

Lost my dear machine in a large range fire.

I love old treadles and have my dear grandmothers.

Wish there were more sights.

Found Vindex on Craigslist, but too far to travel.

Did get an old "Winter" but fear it may cost too much to redo. It has a metal spring type of belt!

Has anyone seen an old Winter with a metal spring belt?

Thanks

• Leslie Claudette
    6 years ago

I picked this machine up recently and am having trouble finding any information about it. I was hoping to come across a manual on line and a replacement bobbin cover door. The tag says National but it's not the National company that comes up in all of my searches. Can anyone provide any information on the machine? I can only find a serial number sz90043286 (I'm not sure the second "0" isn't an "o", it looks different from the other numbers) and a made in Taiwan label.

• a loy
    6 years ago

I am searching for information on National treadle sewing machines. Desperate for help. We have determined it is a National due to the unique emblem on it. It is very old (My great grandmothers). The patient date is Nov 30 1886. It did have a name across the top front but it can no longer be read. Would love to fix this and get it working again. Need someone who knows a lot about the old Nationals.

• Jazbeth Alvarez
    5 years ago

Trying to find out information about this machine. More interested in the history, year etc. My grandmother bought it and is completely in love with it. I can’t for the life of me find out any info on it. Any help appreciated.

• HU-409112994
    5 years ago

Our quilting group was just given a National Sewing Machine Model B450, and I don't have an instruction manual and can't find anything online. Can anyone help? Is this an old machine?

• Melissa Chambery
    4 years ago

Hello! I just acquired a sewing machine. It's from the National Sewing Machine Company. It's an "Eldredge Rotary A".

I see a lot about model Bs but no A.

Appreciate any input!

• HU-299996796
    3 years ago

I have a National serger that needs a new power cord. Any suggestions for where to get a replacement?

• David Runnalls
    2 years ago

I just got a Reversew seamstress rex with serial # 28231. The motor has a double rubber friction drive. I'm missing the shuttle and the front shuttle slide plate

• HU-942174241
    9 months ago

Today I acquired a sewing machine. The most info I've found right here in these comments. So thanks everyone for that. I've found one a few times that's very similar except mine doesn't have the big orange light/ reflector . It came in the case and has a book. The only info I've found in it and the book are: The machine reads : Stretch Stitch; Made in Japan; National; Model 100; Serual# 00419; the underside I've found :  J- 06; KK; U2H09; the underside of the metal plate has a symbol and 8210. The book says Super Zig-Zag. The only word w/in the case seems to be on the little electrical power in/outlet. It reads : MercuryElectric Products MFG. CO.

• claudia valentine
    7 months ago

I will take an old fashioned mechanical model machine over a computer run one anyday!

Back then the machines may not have had as many options as a modern machine, but they had a solid quality to them, for the most part. Todays machines are all about features that you may , or may not, find to be of any real value. Personally , I think that there is too much emphasis put on dubious features.

I still have my moms 401 Singer from the early 50s. What a workhorse! I sewed for most of my life, sewing my own clothes and for my babies, on a mechanical with just a straight and zz stitch. I still have a few items that I sewed and I pick them up and look at the construction done by my young self and I have to pat myself on the back for a job well done.

I used more old school techniques such as french seams and felled seams, carefully graduated trimming of seams and pinking shears . Even the ZZ'd raw edges were still in good shape.

In fairness, though, I have always prefered and sewn with natural fabrics and fibers, when I could. Todays fabrics are not the same.

I dont like the modern fabrics or the computer machines. They are flashy but they are not the machines that will still be sewing over 50 years from now, like my Singer 401 from mid century.

Many of those old machines are still very good, if you know how to use them.

I have done most of my sewing on my trusty Bernina from the 70s. I did use the Singer for a while as my main machine and before that I had an old Kenmore.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area