Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Where do you buy knit cuff material?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I wanted to buy a small amount of cuff material for some PJs since DD doesn't like elastic, she will wear long johns if they aren't tight (she won't wear elastic in sleeves even if loose - says it's scratchy). I found some rib knit material online, but it's regular 40-something width and minimum is 1 yard so that would make a lot of cuffs - all the same color. Where do you buy small amounts of cotton rib knit?

Also, I've seen mostly "micro rib" that is "suitable for blouses" - would you use this for cuffs? Very few choices in "non-micro" rib.

Comments (9)

• clt3
    14 years ago

Joann's carries rib knit.

• Marg411
    14 years ago

If you can't find the rib knit ribbing, can't you just buy 1/4 od 1/2 of a yard of regular rib knot, or any pretty stretchy knit and cut your own? Just cut it twice as wide as you want, add seam allowances, then fold it and use it. I did this years ago when I made T shirts for my boys.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joann.com had the 1-yd minimum, but I did find some with 1/2 yd minimum for $1.95/yd at Fabric.com. I might order some neutral color. Good tip about the socks - too bad I've thrown out so many of DD's Children's Place socks when they got holes - they has some pretty nice colors. I'll cut off the foot part and save the stretchy part from now on. I might even have some colored/patterned socks of my own that are shot, might not be a rib knit but at least they're stretchy.

Is the "micro-rib" OK for cuffs? How much stretch should a cuff have (keeping in mind that I will keep these loose since it has to be the size of her wrist or slightly larger or she won't wear them, the stretch is only to get her hand through)? I noticed some materials are listed with only 10% stretch, others are 40-50%.

• sudimari
    13 years ago

Also...an idea from Mary Mulari....if you recycle sweatshirts or sweaters the cuffing, neckline or ribbed bands usually found at the hemline can be re-used for cuffs. Most folks have a few (or more) sweatshirts in their closets/drawers that they rarely or never use. Good source for small fleece projects or fleece pieces for quilting and for ribbing.

Also...if you have a Freecycle list in your area...ask for some. I got a box of "sewing stuff" from someone who had it in the closet they were cleaning out that had been given to them by their grandmother. I now have a medium sized cardboard box full of nothing but ribbings....some still in original package. Some are knits and some are sweater style. (it's a collection from that gifter and another who gave me a ton of assorted fabrics).

• joansews4u
    13 years ago

I use "sweater like fabric" sock tops often too especially when I make something or replace cuffs in my brothers hunting jackets. I use rib knits for light weight items & usually get it most any chain fabric store. It keeps forever as there is no elastic to dry rot.

• laura7051
    10 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in.

Last year I was bugged by a pajama top with sleeves that kept riding up my arms, leaving them chilly. I finally took an old pair of athletic socks and a slit at each toe end. I slipped them on each arm and my wrist was nicely covered where the pj sleeve rides up. I wasn't sure what my permanent solution would be, not having found any rib knit fabric at my local fabric store to sew onto the sleeve ends.

I saved those socks and am using them again this year, but it finally occurred to me like a couple others here on the forum that I could use old socks I have on hand at home, or see what I could find in a thrift store. My white socks aren't a good color match for my pjs, so I'll check our rag bag to see if there's a better match in there.

I might even try to make this work for pj bottoms too.

• evaf555
    10 years ago

I use sock cuffs, too.

• mothertee
    10 years ago

I found www.rockywoods.com sells it with a 4" min. I like the nylon it doesn't loose its shape. they have good prices also.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida