Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onefineseamstres

How on earth do I do this?

onefineseamstres
10 years ago

Nearly all my experience is in Alterations/Tailoring. It's all I've ever done & I consider myself an expert. I retired but want to keep doing a little side work for a little extra $. I have done a little with windows etc. A local small shop contacted me about doing window treatments. I told them up front I know how to do some of them so they wanted me to sub contract some work. What I've done, they've liked. Somethings are easy and I can make the pattern. Some I can not. Pattern making, or copying a pic isn't that easy & is a whole other field!. I don't know how some curves/folds go to get final product in the pic! The treatment they want is the bottom left. It is evidently 3 pcs. Right/left/and the center "horn". I can do the horn, and come up with the center part good enough. But the end is all one pc. I've tired with cheap lining to get a pattern, It dont' work. I'm certain it requires laying it out right...cutting out pcs and folding together... . She copies this stuff out of someone's book and wants me to copy their pattern. You can not buy these patterns. She keeps telling me to just do it... that it's just folding and "maniuplating" the fabric... I know it's not. Is this even legal to copy someone's pattern and sell the treatments? Those who hold degrees in pattern making, etc get paid a lot more than a seamstress does... I'm just ready to about quit working for her all together. (she is a very nice lady, just don't know nothing about sewing) but she can sell a job. I hate having to admit, that this beats me! I hate missing out of the jobs... IF I ONLY had the pattern I could whip them out. I'd get $25. per foot to make & put this on the board and she's got 5 windows sold IF I can do it. I just can not cut her fabric knowing I can't make it work. Stuff was $45 a yard...silk... Can anyone cut a pattern like this? How can you get these patterns..? I never find stuff like this online or YouTube.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor