Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just wondering..........

Posted by budster (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 20:41

Has anyone bought the new (OK it's new to me) Sidewinder ? A little machine that will wind your bobbins separate from using your machine. They seem to be very popular and the Walmart in my area has them for just under $20.00 - yes I know that's alot of bobbins to wind for the price but I am just wondering if people have them and actually like them. I can see where they might be handy in some cases.........and then I wonder if it is just the newest "fad" must have. Opinions? Oh and I also know they don't work with some bobbins from certain machines...has anyone purchased one and if so what is your take on this newest sewing aide?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just wondering..........

I have been wondering the same thing. I am going into
Jo-ann Fabrics this afternoon and I will ask if they sell many. I will let you know.. I have a big plastic container of bobbins. I usually fill a couple at a time of the colors I use the most often.

o

I don't have one ,nor do i plan to get one.Would rather use my 20 bucks for something more interesting.

I keep a couple bobbins filled all the time with black,white,ecru and grey.The other i filled as i needed them to match the color of whatever i was sewing at the time.I've ben doing it this way for over 50 years,so don't plan to change.Ya know the saying"if it ain't broke,don't fix it". That's my motto.
Kathi

o

I just love my machine that winds the bobbin.

o

Hey Bud...I just got one...it was a gift from my cousin's wife. I'm doing some sewing for her sister who is in the hospital so it was a late birthday/thank you gift.

I like it. And it's little and cute.

patti

o
RE: Just wondering..........update

I bit the bullet and picked one up.....and so far it is working fine. I even managed to rig it up so I could wind from my smaller serger cones, you had to get a little creative on the how to's but it worked fine. So far I've no complaints but it will have to see more service before I really decide if it is worth while or not. So I'm still sitting on the fence...good thing/worthless thing, time will tell. Budster.

o

I've seen them too, and considered getting one.

If and when my sewing room remodel is finished, I'll be making quilt tops again. I normally load up 12 bobbins at once when I start a new quilt project so then I'm good to go.

o

NO.

All my machinery is "industrial" and bobbin winders are part and parcel of the "bench" set up with every machine. I wind bobbins while I'm operating the machine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here