Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n2bach1

? about amount of material for curtain

n2bach1
16 years ago

Hello,

I don't sew very often, but once in a while I get the urge. Right now I'm planning to sew a "cafe" style curtain and valance above my kitchen sink. I'd like to put the curtains on rings so you could just push them apart to open, but it seems like if I use 2 1/2 times the width of the windwow for fabric, ( I read that's the amount) it would make it very bunchy, thick and hard to push to the sides. How much would you recommend?

When they are closed, wouldn't you think they shouldn't not be too gathered looking, but rather softly hanging?

I don't even know if I've put it in writing very well, exactly what I mean, I'm just hoping someone can help me!

Thanks

one more question....If I put the lower curtain on rings, do I have to do the same for the valance? I'd never open the valance. It would just be hanging.

Comments (2)

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

I believe that cafe curtains are usually 1.5 times the width of the window. 2.5 is more for frilly curtains, not the clean look of a cafe-style. You can certainly put your valance on a casing. I've seen them done both ways and it looks just fine.

Annie

• n2bach1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

damascusannie,
    Thanks for the info. Sounds good and I'm going to work on them this weekend!!