Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleykat_gw

Drapes for corner window

valleykat
18 years ago

I posted this on the home decorating forum, but I thought I would try posting it here as well. I am in the process of decorating my lake house. I have a pair of corner windows that I need to cover. Here is a photo of one of them. There is another one on the other end of the room.

{{!gwi}}

I hate to put curtains up at all, but for privacy reasons at night, we need something. I'm also worried about the sun fading my new furniture. I will use shades on the regular windows. I would like to sew floor length drapes with grommets that slide on a decorative rod, kind of like these, for the corner windows:

{{!gwi}}

I don't want any drape in the middle though for obvious reasons. I have searched the internet and seen corner brackets, but I don't understand how I can install them for the type of curtains I would like to make. The thing I can't figure out is how you can attach the corner bracket to the wall and still slide the drapes all the way closed so that they meet in the corner. It seems like the support would get in the way of this. I plan to mount them so that when the drapes are pulled open the whole window will show and they will be drawn off to the sides. I had similar windows at my old house and used traverse rods where the hardware was hidden so it didn't matter. I really don't want that look at all though.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Comments (7)

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Wow ,with that view i wouldn't want to cover it at all,but i know you need to for privacy reasons.They do make a corner rod for just that type of window.I saw them do one on HGTV one day and the drapes closed perfectly in the corner,and when they were open they were off to the side for as much as you want them to be.

So i say check at a place that sells drapery and hardware.
    HTH
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Wow ,with that view i wouldn't want to cover it at all,but i know you need to for privacy reasons.They do make a corner rod for just that type of window.I saw them do one on HGTV one day and the drapes closed perfectly in the corner,and when they were open they were off to the side for as much as you want them to be.

So i say check at a place that sells drapery and hardware.
    HTH
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Sorry about the triple post,this board kept rejectin it every time i tried to send it ,or said internal error,what ever that means.
    Kathi

• valleykat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Kathi. I've searched the web for the right hardware. I've found the corner brackets. I just wasn't sure how I would mount them and still have the drapes close completely. I was thinking that the supports would get in the way. I have received advice in another thread that if I place the last grommet 3" from the edge, there will be room for the supports and the fabric will still extend into the corner. I think that should work.

FYI, I found this great grommet tape I plan to use to simplify things. I thought I'd share the link in case anyone else might benefit from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grommet Tape

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Thanks,
    I added that link to my favorites.
    kathi

• discully2071
    17 years ago

hi,
    i am having similiar problems with a corner window. can you please tell me if it worked for you? if so, would you be able to email photos? i am so confused as to a solution to my "dilemma"!

any advice you have to offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Diane

• valleykat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, I procrastinated on this project and now my house is torn apart for remodeling, so it will be some time before I can tackle sewing four panels of draperies. My work space is now filled with the contents of my kitchen.

I did order all of the materials though. I assembled the corner brackets and rods and was able to determine that I can use supports as close to the corner as possible and the fabric will meet in the center as I mentioned in an earlier post (see quote below).

"I have received advice in another thread that if I place the last grommet 3" from the edge, there will be room for the supports and the fabric will still extend into the corner. I think that should work."

I got the rods and brackets at the link below The rods were the ball style in the closeout section. Great prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swagsgalore Corner Brackets

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County