Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesyeuxbleu

Advice on combining patterns for curtains

Lesyeuxbleu
11 years ago

I bought some fabric and didn't get a chance to use it before we moved. So now I want to make curtains for my new house and I don't have enough. Well I have enough, just not of the same pattern.
I have a paisley pattern and a horizontal stripe that coordinate. (Wish I could show you)
I have 234 inches in length of the Paisley, and 272 of the stripe. (width of fabric is about 54in)
I need to cover a 78W window (85H) and a 36in door.
I was thinking that I could do combine the patterns in each panel. For example I would use the stripe for the top portion and paisley for the bottom. I may swap it for the door (since I will have more of the shorter piece left).
What percentage do you think I should do. I have heard of the "rule of thirds" so I was thinking I would do the top 3rd.
Any suggestions??

Comments (8)

• Lesyeuxbleu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot about photo bucket=)
    Do you think it will look okay? I am not particularly good at this, plus I am blinded by the need/desire to make curtains.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Rather than combining the 2 together, I think I would get a solid that coordinated with both of them and use that as a border instead. Maybe do the solid with stripe border (you might consider using it on the bias) for the door and the paisley with a solid border on the window.... That way it would all coordinate but the drapes wouldn't be as busy as they are with the stripe and paisley together....

• Lesyeuxbleu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie

I agree - and I have considered doing a border...but I am trying really hard not to buy more fabric - since I have soooo much of these already. I also had my heart set on using them in the same room since I was able to purchase the same color palette. Hmm. Thank you for your input.

Now I may just give up and do stripe on the big window and the paisley on the door lol!

• Lesyeuxbleu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay! Annie. You got me thinkin'...What do you think of the stripe as a border?

It would work out great for me. I have to add one whole ..?width?..the fabric is 54", and lets just say I was going to have to add an additional panel to the large window to make it wide enough. So I would have had to cut a panel in half and attach each half..one for the left panel/curtain and one for the right panel/curtain. So I may just cut the striped fabric into quarters..and put a quarter on the left of one side/panel, and a quarter on the right side/panel - so my paisley print would have a stripe border. this would be easier for me too, because i won't have to worry about matching patterns!
    Here is an oh so pretty drawing lol!

• Lesyeuxbleu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I I know I didn't get many responses. But I am often helped by other peoples posts. Maybe this will help someone =). I am not sure if this is a hit or a miss, but I have guests coming the day after tomorrow - and they will have privacy =) at the least.
    I have the "borders" sewn own..take off acouple of inches of the stripe since I have not put in the liner yet, and of course it is longer than what is in the picture.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Yes I think that could work fine...though usually you see the border only on the "pull" side of the drape, not the back side. It looks a tad busy with the stripe on both sides, but maybe once it's hung and the far side is less visible, it won't look that busy.

But I'd really try mixing with a solid (bring the fabrics to a store to try it) just to make sure you're doing what you'll be happiest with...after all, it's a lot of work to make them and you want to make sure you'll like them...no regrets.

• Helen Schoenfeld
    8 years ago

I think it looks great; the intensity and palette of both fabrics really makes them jive.

• Laurie
    8 years ago

I think those two fabrics go well together.
    What type of header did you use? Can we see a finished pic?