Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pattern suggestions for summer tops?

Posted by chickenmom (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 19:47

I want to make some lightweight, woven cotton tops for summer. I'm trying to find a pattern that has tucks in the front which open up at empire waist level to give a loose fit. Pullover, or button down the front would be fine. I'd prefer sleeves. I'm having no luck finding a pattern that I thought would be basic. I've seen shirts like this at Cold Water Creek, Chicos, etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pattern suggestions for summer tops?

I just love CWC and Chico's..... and I am always looking for cool summer tops.

When you say it opens up at the empire waist - do you mean open as in more room up top...or open as in more room in the hip area?

The tucks in the front..do you mean the ?backward? pleats at the neckline?

o

Most wovens aren't pullovers as they have no stretch to get over your shoulders....

I much prefer knits as they are so comfortable....

o

I guess I should have said "pleats" instead of tucks. What I have seen are pleats that are sewn from the shoulders on each side down to just below the bust and then the fullness of the released fabric gives kind of a "skirt" that is loose and cool. Knits are great for stretch, but they are too hot for the weather here----Texas with days and days of over 100 degrees some summers. You are right about the pullover idea, Annie. Button down the front will probably be the way to go. Thanks to you both for your ideas!

o

This shows the pleated idea I'm looking for. I'd rather have a regular collar instead of the V neck, but the pleats are right. I was thinking just 4 or 5 pleats not so many small ones. Maybe I can just find a good shirt pattern and figure out how to add in the pleats? I'd much rather just find a pattern like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here