Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danicarby

Need Advice for my Bernina 730!

danicarby
17 years ago

I just bought an older model Bernina 730 last week for $250. When I got it home and sewed on it for a couple hours, I noticed it wasn't running very well. A couple times the speed would slow, and if the needle was down and I stopped, the motor would just run and nothing would happen. I'd have to manually move the needle up for it to start sewing again. And while manually moving the needle, the machine acted as if there was a big wad of material inbetween the gears. After working the needle up and down for a minute it would get "unstuck". I don't know why the needle/wheel/motor (whatever it was) woudl get "stuck" and be so tight if I could pull the upper and lower thread out smoothly. Also, a couple times while doing the zig-zag stitch, it would slow and just sew in place as if the feed dogs weren't working properly. I took it into be looked at and the guy at the repair shop is suggesting I get a new foot control. He also said it should be serviced. Now, I'm a young mother who loves to sew, and LOVES Berninas! I struggled with buying the machine in the first place but just couldn't resist. Getting it serviced and a new peddle will cost an extra $150. With my machines symptons what opinions do you have? Does it sound like it REALLY needs a new foot peddle? I'm sure it should be serviced, it hasn't been in 8 years (although only used a couple times). Help me out! What should I do!?

Comments (8)

• budster
    17 years ago

What you should do? This is what I personally would do, clean the machine (did you get the manual it would tell you what to do for that)....change needles, give it a good going over......make sure the feed dogs aren't sticking, that kind of thing. Take a look at your foot pedal, clean it up (might even carefully unscrew the thing and see if any wires are showing signs of wear that kind of thing)..... If you still have problems, call or visit your local library and ask them for a book on sewing machine maintenance...even if you have to order one in, then go through that and see if they offer any solutions. Go onto some other sewing forums on the web .... a few addy's have been mentioned in older postings here and see what they have to say. Find a Bernina website where you can ask fellow bernina owners... If you are really looking to spend little cash, call around to other sewing machine places and ask if they have any foot pedals that would fit your machine and the cost. If they have something, then take your machine and try it in the store. Some places take machines on trade in and junk them for parts..that might be an option. A bit of time calling sewing machine places in your area and you might find something reasonable. You asked what I would do.....the steps I listed are what I would do before rushing out and spending big bucks. Yes a servicing would help but compare costs with other dealers who service machines (just cause they sell Singer doesn't mean they only service singer) someone might have a cheaper price for you. You ask what to do and this is what I would try (all of the above) before spending more money that you might not have to. MHO only. Budster.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I second what Budster said.Berninas are a very good machine,but like everything else they do need to be maintained.
    Kathi

• giah
    16 years ago

First of all, I need to know if you bought the manual of your sewing machine too. Bernina 730 is in fact a good machine, but little different from models 731 and 732. The three models have knee lifters. The first thing to do is know that in the back side (motor) there are a little switch. If the knob is up, then the machine will runs to full speed if you want. But if the knob is down, the motor will go at half speed even if you pressed the pedal to the limit. Then check this switch. Second advice, clean the machine properly. Remove the dust from internal parts slowly. Turn on the machine and try to sew. Many times dust can turn the machine slow. Third advice, check the pedal. Clean it too, and with electric connections unplugged, pump it many times with your foot. Then connect the machine and start to sew fast. After couple of hours sewing put your hand over the motor side. check if its overheating, maybe the internal carbon brushes not working and reduces the speed of the machine damaging the motor. If this problem occurs, maybe go to the service, because you will need to open the motor case to replace the brushes.

• ellis_aspo_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I do not know anything about pricing in the US, but your quote does seem excessive. I can only say I have had my Bernina since about 1975 & as I have used it in a professional capacity have subjected it to considerable wear and tear . I would not exchange it for anything and indeed bought a second machine for my girlfriend, later my very dear wife. I have found the machine, touch wood, almost destructable and have only had it in for a going over a couple of times. I suggest you give it a good old cleaning and oil it properly. It is quite easy to get access to the motor by loosening the two screws under the bottom of the machine and to the driving belts with the two screws on the side.
    Do try and get another quote, and HOLD On to your machine. I would imagine a resonably handy sort of chap should be able to fix the foot pedal for the construction is quite simple. I assure you I am not very handy with things mechanical...

Hope it works out for you,

Cordially,
    nicholas ellis

• coque
    13 years ago

Make sure you oil it. I have a Bernina 930 that was doing something similar...it needed cleaning and oiling. Get some canned air. It helps between cleaning but don't forget to oil....I bought mine new in the 80's and that is the only trouble I've had.....due to me not cleaning, etc. as often as I should...

• Wellsy2
    10 years ago

Take the foot control pedal and turn it upside down.
    Undo the two tiny nuts in the centre (don't lose them! ie place them in an empty jar for safe keeping).
    Gently lift off the base of the pedal. Inside you well see towards the front of the pedal an area covered by loose flaps of insulating paper. Gently lift these up. Underneath you will see the electrical contact switch plates and the plunger rod with the round brass disk which contacts and links these plates when the pedal is activated, Using a small nail file or piece of emery paper lightly sand the contact surfaces clean. Before you reassemble the foot pedal check the action of the plunger rod. It can be adjusted at it's rear end by loosening the small nut on it's end and inserting a small screwdriver into the slotted end and turning it clockwise to move it closer to the above mentioned electrical contact plates. Don't move it so close that it touches the plates when the pedal isn't being activated. Tighten up the small nut on the rod end and re-attach the base of the pedal, making sure you put the insulating paper back in place. Give the pedal a test drive on your machine.

• DyAnn Hoppes
    4 years ago

Be sure to oil it . Check where to oil and oil and clean first.

• HU-400623730
    4 years ago

Have you tried tightening the balance wheel? It sounds as if it has not been wound tightly enough after winding a bobbin. I have a Bernina 830, which I bought in 1972, and it is still behaving perfectly. They are such good machines.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH