Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative drapery top treatment

Posted by terrytiredcold (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 19:11

Hi, I've seen a picture of draperies where the top was tied (similar to a necktie). I've searched & searched for instructions but am not having any luck. I first saw the treatment in an ad in the Chicago Tribune. The only other place I have seen it is at this link shown below.

There are 12 pictures to the right on the page & the drapery I am referring to is the second one down in the right-hand column. If you click on the picture, they show a larger view.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can achieve this look, I would greatly appreciate it. I am probably an intermediate sewer at best & need all the help I can get 8~)

Here is a link that might be useful: drapery pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative drapery top treatment

Hi: make your tab drapes the usual way only the tabs would be around 3" longer to make room for the scrunchy.

For the scrunchy take a piece of fabric around 8" wide by 9 - 10" long. Put right sides together and sew down the length of the fabric making a tube. Turn right side out and press, so that the seam is in the middle of the tube. Run a gathering stitch down both ends of the tube. Gather them up to the depth you want the scrunchy to be and then sew them together (right sides), turn and slip over the tab and tack in place.
You made need to play with the size (length and width) of the scrunchy until you get the look you want.

Hope this makes sense.

Bonnie

o
RE: Alternative drapery top treatment

Bonnie, thank you for the help. I wouldn't have thought of making tab drapery first. I thought I would have to do several individual panels, hang in half on the rod & then put on some kind of scrunchy on each panel top.

Once again, thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here