Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah29_gw

youthful patterns

leah29
13 years ago

I'm looking for patterns with a more youthful design, I like the favorite things line of patterns but haven't found much else along those lines. I'm in my mid 20's and feel stuck in between dressing older and not wanting to look like a college kid anymore. Any ideas would be great!

Comments (7)

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with the favorite things line of patterns. Could you direct me, please?

I have two dtrs in their mid 20s; I sew for them all the time, things like dresses, winter coats, skirts and tank tops. Will you be sewing your own garments?

Sherry

• leah29
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am also in my mid-twenties and will be attempting to sew my own clothes...I'm getting back into sewing lately and need to polish up my skills a bit! The favorite things line is at www.favoritethings.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Things

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I think it's great that you want to make your own clothes. There is much satisfaction and pride in doing it.

The Favorite Things site is beautiful. Have you seen their patterns in person or worked with one? Is there a way to see more detail, such as line drawings or enlarged pictures, online?

Are you looking for professional work clothes? Summer dresses? Hanging-out clothes? Do you have access to good fabric stores or will you be shopping for fabrics online? My 25 yo dtr has trouble visualizing what a pattern/fabric combination will look like, but my 28 yo dtr has been choosing fabrics and putting various parts of patterns together to get the look she wants since she was 5. Neither of them sews, though; they just tell me what to do!

I'm unable to post photos, but I'll be happy to post pattern numbers of recent garments, if you're interested. We usually use ordinary pattern companies that are available in the fabric stores.

Sherry

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

Have you checked out Simplicity's New Look patterns yet? They have many simple & classic designs for very reasonable prices...

Here is a link that might be useful: New Look

• leah29
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm looking mostly for casual clothing, although some nice tops and things would be great too. I don't need professional clothes since I'm a nurse. I haven't used any of the favorite things patterns yet, just looked at them online. The only fabric store I know of around me is joann's, but I'd be willing to order fabric online.

The new look patterns have a couple that interest me, I need to check those out some more. I'm toying with the idea of trying to make my own patterns, but I'm not quite there yet skill-wise.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Wow, making your own patterns - that's huge! I cannot do that - have no idea how, so I put parts of patterns together to make changes. In my area, JoAnn is a great store - I rely on JoAnn and Hancock for most of my fabric. I've never ordered fabric or patterns online.

First thing you should do is go to JoAnn and sign up for their mailers. They have great coupons for fabric, and also they often have patterns on sale for .99 or 1.99.

Patterns are very expensive, imo, and combined with the cost of the fabrics can make sewing a garment cost prohibitive. One specialty store in my area carries Favorite Things patterns, but I have not looked at them as I rarely go to that store. IMO, the patterns on the Favorite Things site are too small to see the important details, unless I'm missing something, so I'd be reluctant to buy one online.

Try taking a friend with you to JoAnn. Go through the pattern books, including Vogue, and look at the available fabrics. Make something simple at first. How experienced are you, and do you have a good, basic sewing machine?

Generally, I find sewing instructions included in patterns to be very well written and easy to follow. Sometimes, though, I get completely confused - and I've been sewing for about 35 years! I sure wish my dtrs were interested - I'd love to have a protege!

Sherry

• empress
    13 years ago

leah,

You might want to visit patternreview.com. There are several interesting pattern companies presented there, such as Jalie patterns and Hotpatterns, that I wouldn't have heard about otherwise. Best thing about it, though, is the reviews that members do of patterns they have made, as well as the educational materials available.

Much information is available with the free registration, but lots more is available with a paid membership. I am not affiliated or profit in any way from this site, I have just found it very helpful many times.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern Review site

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County