Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need quick help with measuring for communion dress

Posted by polarprincess (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 17:49

hi, i have been on chemo and waited too long to get a communion dress for my daughter which is 3 weeks away. I have found several online and on ebay which we like and she is normlly a size 7/8 but the sizes of these dresses vary so much i can't get over it. Most of these sites have a 2-3 day processing time and then another 7-10 days to get the dress so i have to get the size right, and i am so afraid i am going to screw it up. I have looked at the manufacturers size charts and some say to add 1-3 inches to the measurements in order to get the most comfortable fit, and some say to measure over their clothes and then go with that measurement.. my daughters chest is 24.5-25 inches, her waist is 23 inches ..here is a link to one of the dresses,...what size would i order? 8?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360144737112..

This is the dress we like the best..(link below) but i am afraid the chest in a size 8 would be way too tight..and i know size 10 would be way too big..what does a person do?? just forget about this dress? too risky??

Would i be better off going with a non form fitting dress like the following? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260375813601

Please help!! I need to order by monday! When you sew a dress do you sew it to meet the measurements exactly or do you add on a couple inches?

Here is a link that might be useful: favorite dress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need quick help with measuring for communion dress

When you sew a dress do you sew it to meet the measurements exactly or do you add on a couple inches?

When a seamstress makes a dress she uses the measurements to see what size pattern she needs. Pattern sizes and ready to wear are usually different sizes. The pattern has built in "ease" so the dress doesn't constrict.

I think some of the questions you asked about the dresses need to be directed to the ebay sellers. If they are a business they should be able to help you make a decession based on her measurements.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here