Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clergychick

shopping for a new (to me) machine

clergychick
14 years ago

I have been using a Kenmore 24 Stitch machine since I bought it in 1988 to make my wedding dress. It is having all kinds of problems now, the most aggravating of which is that the bobbin cover will not stay in place, but the tension is needing work, too.

I haven't had time to take it to the shop, so I borrowed a friend's machine. It is a Husqvarna Lily 530 (1997). After some initial getting-started challenges, it is doing fine for me. The friend said she would be willing to sell it to me if I wanted it -- she never used it as much as she thought she would. I do a lot of applique/satin stitching, and I found the digital controls of stitch width do no allow me to do some of the decorative stuff I could do on my old machine, so I'm not totally sold on it.

Then the ad below showed up in yesterday's paper for Singer Heavy Duty School Model Sew & Serge machines for $129 (or Teacher's model for $229 and $299). It's a "one day only" sale -- but if it is a good machine, I might go for it.

I have been impressed with the breadth and scope of your knowledge about machines, so I'd appreciate any advice you have on either of these options.

Thanks for your time. Amy

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• nicole__
    14 years ago

These sound like old mechanical machines. They don't sew as smooth as the new electronic ones.The older machines would have more "metal" in them. I wouldn't expect a warranty, it's a fly by night operation.

I opted to buy a Brother machine from Walmart. At least Walmart will be there in a year. I paid $135, it's electronic, it has about 40 built in stitches & a self threader. But......I may have broken part of the bobbin compartment.....had it a year and now it needs to be repaired. I talked to a repairman who said he refuses to work on this type of machine. :0)

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

NO,no,no,no!! Those machine are total crap. Do not be sucked in. Furthermore, these ads are the epitome of bait and switch - all the low priced machines will have been "sold" before anyone gets there.

Their first point "Sophisticated, can sew buttonholes, etc.." well, any decent machine can do that. So this is not a "feature".

Second point "Sews a professional serging stitch". Um, well, no it doesn't. It will sew an approximation of an overlock stitch, but it's basically a back-and-forth zig-zag with a straight stitch. It will not trim the seams, and it lays down a whole lot more thread than a serger will. Bulky, and not attractive.

Third point "Will sew all fabrics". WTH - most sewing machines will!

Steer clear, go to a reputable dealer and look at what they have to offer. Not all are expensive, and dealers will have high-quality used machines WITH WARRANTIES!

Or take your old machine in and have it repaired!

• pris
    14 years ago

I googled and found a site that had esentially the same ad but a different store and the reply she got was that this add was plastered all over. The concensus was to steer clear.

• clergychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input on the Singer -- I thought it sounded a bit suspicious. Good to have that confirmed.

Any comments on the other machine -- the Husqvarna?

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Husqvarna is a reputable brand. If there is something wrong with the machine, it should be easily repaired.

It should do everything you want it to do - it's not that old! Maybe a few lessons from a dealer?

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

RUN,don't walk away from those singer sales!!! They are total CRAP.If you search the archives here you'll find out what we have all said in the past about those sales.It's another one of those"if it sounds too good to be true,it probably is".Only drop the "probably"
    Kathi

• budster
    14 years ago

If the Husqvarna is cheap enough perhaps it will give you enough value as a trade in for a machine you find later on. Get it as a stepping stone....part of a future plan. You might find the Lily is really all you need with your Kenmore repaired as a back up. That is what I'd do. Husquvarna's are good machines and run away from those Singers advertised..in a word they are JUNK. I have yet to hear ANY good word from someone who purchased one at those sales....lots of bad experiences - put the price you would pay for the singer garbage to the Lily. Just MHO. Budster - let us know what you decide.

• clergychick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Budster, for the encouragement about the Husqvarna. I'll have a chat with it's owner and see how reasonable her price is. For now, I'm using it for free, and she's not really missing it, so it's a win-win!

Maybe I'll ask to keep borrowing it at least until I can get the old Kenmore in the shop and see if it can be brought back to scratch.

It's really awful about the Singer machines being such Junk. You'd think they'd care more about their name and reputation than to flood the market with cheap/defective machines.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me avoid that mess!

--Amy

• shadylady2u
    14 years ago

Singer is owned by somebody else now. Things aren't the same as they once were. Same with appliances. The way to tell what's good and what's not, is price. You really do get what you pay for these days.

• budster
    14 years ago

IF you decide to purchase and say yes to your friend, I'd ask around to what it might be worth from a dealer who has trade ins. You don't want to be paying top dollar no matter how little it was used. You are in a win/win, your friend not using it and letting you have it for now at no cost. Just MHO. Budster