Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
altering womens pants

Posted by laurenjay (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:43

I have several pairs of pants with a crease down the leg. I want to taper the legs. They are too wide. My question is, how do I deal with the crease? If I take in the same amount on each leg seam it's okay. The crease is still centered. The problem is what do I do when the amount isn't the same. Then the crease is not centered. Should I iron out the existing crease and make a new crease after I have taken in the leg? Some creases don't fully iron out so I would then have 2 creases.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: altering womens pants

So why not take in the same amount on either side?

o

This question answers itself...taper the same amt on each side of the leg. The pants wouldn't hang properly anyway, if the alteration was only on one side...the crease would then be off center.

o

I alter clothes for a living.

Where I work all creased pants are taken in the same amount on the outseam and inseam. Uncreased pants (usually jeans that are topstitched and being tapered) are taken in on the outseam (non-topstitched) seam.

o

You would probably never be able to press that seam out anyway...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here